• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released HMS Unicorn

What happens if you replace baat.tga with deck.tga or desk.tga? Technically shouldn't work, but you can try. :facepalm

I got some different looking life boats.

What seems to mostly work is putting everything back the way it was. That means using deck.tga and switching woodgrain 2 and 3 back. That still leaves one section of deck looking odd, but the barrels are ok. :shrug

I tried to sort this out myself and it seems that the original model uses both deck.tga and desk.tga . Swapping their use seems to work. If you want, I'll upload my modified file for you. :doff

That works for you? Changing that 2nd desk.tga has no effect that I can see. Sure, post it and I will try it. :cheers

Here's the file: http://www.pyratesahoy.com/build/b14_b2_wip/Unicorn1.7z
I checked again and it really does look fine in the GM Viewer like this. :shrug

It does indeed work! :onya It's different from the one I got from the 1st post of this thread, but I can not see any reverse lighting so far.

Indeed it looks like the model should use desk.tga for the deck and deck.tga for certain details like the barrels.
All you need to do is change deck->desk and desk->deck, as Pieter said. :yes

It does indeed work! :onya It's different from the one I got from the 1st post of this thread, but I can not see any reverse lighting so far.
Strange; it's the 38 gun version that I'm sure I got from the opening post months ago. :shrug
Oh well, at least it works! :dance

There seems to be a lot of interest in this ship, so here is an update. :p3

The rigging is "different" and is taking some time to sort out, with ropes going though sails and such. The jibsails will be completely redone to look similar to the jibsails of the Amsterdam in the background.

This ship is the very definition of a tall ship. Even with the low frigate hull her masts are still taller than the masts on the FWzP.

Did I mention that ship looks absolutely beautiful...? :keith

The scale looks about right; we're just used to seeing stock frigates and corvettes with much shorter rigging than they should have.
What still annoys me though is the scale of the docks and forts in relation to the ships. They look too small compared to every ship, and always have done. :facepalm
Maybe we can fix that one day, hopefully.

Looks great! How does she compare in size to the historical version of the HMS Surprise? because according to their dimensions, the Unicorn was about 12 feet shorter and 2 feet wider than the surprise.

It's hard to say because the Surprise model is broken up into several parts, but the Unicorn might be slightly shorter and is wider.

I was talking about the historical surprise (Razee frigate/HMS Indefatigabe or Surprise1) not the movie version, though they are probably similar.

Yes, they are similar. The HMS Indefatigable in Patch7 is slightly longer but not as wide as the Unicorn. I don't think think the Unicorn is 12 feet shorter. I'm counting squares in GMViewer.

well I mean It doesnt have to be exactly 12 feet, just close. maybe the unicorn could be scaled down a tad? that might be a pain at this point though. if it is than its not a huge deal, if she is wider and shorter than the Surprise thats probably close enough. :onya

well I mean It doesnt have to be exactly 12 feet, just close. maybe the unicorn could be scaled down a tad? that might be a pain at this point though.
Scaling any ship up or down is always a pain, unfortunately, because the hull locators and crew walk file need modifying drastically to match the change. :facepalm

The modelers generally take the dimensions straight from the blueprints, don't they?

I just installed Pgargon's AOPC mod to this ship, and it is almost back to where it was before. There are only 2 problems left.

One: Pgargon failed to include the day and night "fonar". This was not a problem before as they were attached to the main GM. This is no longer the case. I have tried using similar lights from other ships. The ones from Bellona1 are too high and too far back, and the ones from Greyhound1 are too far forward.

I need some help here.

Two: For some reason it insists on using the lifeboats with the reverse lighting bug. I'm still working on that.

One: Pgargon failed to include the day and night "fonar". This was not a problem before as they were attached to the main GM. This is no longer the case. I have tried using similar lights from other ships. The ones from Bellona1 are too high and too far back, and the ones from Greyhound1 are too far forward.
I need some help here.
Probably Pgargon himself would need to help with that; quite possibly, he does have those files already. Alternatively, taking them from another ship and moving the geometry locator so that it matches with the Unicorn.

Two: For some reason it insists on using the lifeboats with the reverse lighting bug. I'm still working on that.
The two lifeboats on the main hull GM file? If they've got reverse lighting, there's nothing you can do. :facepalm

For now I'm relocating fonars from other ships just to get her in game. Nothing matches well.

I thought Armada made a hirez one that no longer has the reverse lighting bug, but it does.

Back