• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New Fetch Quest for 3.3 Needs Testing

So Any toughts about it?
Probally going to work on it again one of these days so I could use some feedback.

Alright, I've tried the Fetch MOD..:dance:keith:pflag And here's my experience and feedback: (I hope this helps)

Its really hard to trigger the quest(This one's in Tortuga). And the higher the reputation, the less chance I get. I noticed these ones btw: seadogs2_0001.jpg seadogs2_0004.jpg
Okay, so after a couple of tries, I triggered the quest with rep Vixen then again changed to lady 'cause the shipyard owner won't deal with me with that rep.
I got a huge order but after the deal when I checked my questbook, its already checked/finished and I haven't even started seadogs2_0008.jpg seadogs2_0010.jpg
I tried to ignore the check mark. Went to store and the order: Sandal is "0" so I went to fetch those to other towns and man, the payment after completing the job is way low, I loose money plus my expenses during the trip not to mention the ship(s) damage (repair cost)- a lot can happen in the sea seadogs2_0013.jpg seadogs2_0014.jpg
and upon my return to finish the job: seadogs2_0015.jpg :boom: -damn, i shouldn't have ignored that check mark :woot

Attachments

• compile.log
    73.9 KB · Views: 92
  • error.log
    2.4 KB · Views: 118
  • system.log
    1.7 MB · Views: 98
hmmm...I will see why it puts it checked right away ... it shouldn't do that (it didn't for me I remember).
Seems I left a little debug info in it, thats what the change:0 says.
Normally the higher your rep the better chance you should have. WIll look into that.

The quest is build up so the higher your commerce skill the more profit you will make. You do need to find a place which exports the material or has enough stock. if you take if from somewhere where they import it you will end up with a loss. But I might need to make the margin a bit higher.

thanks for testing.

Probally also having the commerce skill perks help a lot because you can get a 20% discount on buying stuff ;).
Also you checked where you bought it? The default price of sandals is 200. It put between 5 and 25 % over it I believe. That depens on your level and commerce skills etc.

Yeah ... I fixed the error and the debug code.
Btw the lower the number for chance the better your chance is. 1 in (number showed+1). So if it shows 0 you should always get the quest.
The formula which determines how large the chance is, is:

(sqrt(sti(pchar.rank))/2+(10-sqrt(sti(pchar.reputation)))/2+(10-sti(pchar.skill.Sneak)))/((3-mult)*2);

Where mult is 2 for the first 2 difficulty levels and else its 1

So for you it would have been (if I take a look at the screen of the character) and asuming you play on high difficulty:

(sqrt(12/2+(10-sqrt(85))/2+(10-10))/((3-1)*2) = (sqrt(6+1)/(4)) = 1 (rounded upward) so thats a chance of 1 in 2.

But I think I'm going to redo this. I want it to incorperate in the rumors mod. So you hear a rumor there is something on that island. You go there and then you can get the quest.
In increased the margin you can get on the goods a little bit.

Also I noticed there was a bug which made the quest "expire" before you could finish it, thats why you got the weird respons at the end.
That should be fixed now also. You could ofcourse still be beaten by your rival but thats another story ;).

Please let me know if you find any more problems with it. I'm also open for sugestions for the goods etc or things they say.

Downloaded now. Will include it in an internal modpack update probably somewhere this week.

Tested it again (Tortuga) and it works great now! ..as far as i'm concerned..:p
Fetch Quest Mod's Chronological Snapshots: seadogs2_0000.jpg seadogs2_0001.jpg seadogs2_0002.jpg seadogs2_0003.jpg seadogs2_0005.jpg seadogs2_0006.jpg seadogs2_0007.jpg :onya
*..but here's my catch, hehehe, my profit for that quest is -19,078 gpcs :facepalm its too much of a loss..i bought them planks at Port Au Prince..

Attachments

• compile.log
    26.2 KB · Views: 92
  • system.log
    563.8 KB · Views: 106
You bought them at a place which is importing planks. this means they are quiet expensive there. You should have went to nevis for example. I think in that case you would have made a profit. Altough it might have been a small profit if you dont have the commerce skills. Still it also gives you experience and some reputation gain so itsstill a reward.

ayup! :cool: yeah, I think i didn't take the time to circle..heheh..:onya it really is helpful to visit all stores so you can just look up their prices on the map.

I had a look at how the rumors work and I think after I fixed the dialogs and sidequest work I go modifiy this mod so it adds specific events to the rumors (Like: "There is a new regiment in Spleightown so the gouvernor ordered new uniforms" or "The gouvernor of Tortuga ordered to increase the fleet").
You can then go to the right person to start the quest. Citizens in this town will also talk about it so you can pick it up if you missed it in the rumors.
The quest will only be avaible for a certain period, so Say you are on tortuga and you see a rumor about barbedos which is a month old already you could try to get there and see if its still true but chances are someone else did it already. Say you are on aruba and you see a rumor for bonaire which is 1 day old you will probally be in time to get the quest.
I also want to see if I'm able to modify the rumors mod a bit so it takes distance in acount. Say something happens on barbedos. then they should hear this in the surrounding islands very quick, but an island like cuba should hear this later but I don't know if I will be able to pull that off.

Indeed the Rumours system is pretty much crap right now. I'd very much welcome your improvements on it.
Also, I think all the trade rumours are basically wrong and might as well be removed.
Or, even better, redone or even automated based on actual prices.

The first step is made. I made the rumours system more flexible so I can do much more with it. Next step is actually embedding it in but I would ask people to test this already.
Things I did or added:
- Moved all the text for the rumors to the resources folder so its easier to translate
- Moved everything in a seperate file
- Added a chance a thing can happen (for each economy of a town)
- Set a flag for pirate village so some things can't happen at pirate villages

Please test this to see if anything strange happens then I can go on incorperating the fetch quest in this.

Attachments

• IMPROVED NEWS.zip
    17.5 KB · Views: 115
WHOHO I got it to work :D.
I can now set a good as new type. So for example I can say gold is an export product for a certain island. The script also removes it from (for example) import if its listed there.
Now need to incorperate it in the news and then that system will be a bit more flexible also :).
I also added 2 more modes. A good can now also be Exhausted, this means there is none left. This will be used for the fetch quests. And a good can be set on Extraexport. This means there is way to much of it and they want to get rid of it.
These things will be told in the news section so you can get an extra profit with it.
I was thinking for example say a Fire was at a certain place. Then for a short period (say a month) this place will have planks as an import product because they need to rebuild it.
Also I can set other things if I want.
I'm also thinking of having a little bit of randomisation in it, so I think I will give goods a economy paramater also and if a town is at the highest economy it exports other products then on lower economy. And some are island specific.

I don't know if this is the proper thread but this is the last thing I added to my game.

Everything seemed to be going normally until I got to Grenada. The store there seems to have enough goods but supplies look a little on the low side. There is over $10,000,000 in cash so they have money. I checked with the bartender for rumors and Sao Jorge is not mentioned, so nothing bad has happened.

The thing is that the prices are ridiculously low! Items like sailcloth that normally sell for maybe $30 are selling for $7. I went in there with a load of gold expecting to get $1,300 or more for it and it sold for $170. :rumgone What is going on?

EDIT: I checked the rumors more carefully and it seems Sao Jorge had a malaria epidemic about a month earlier. Why would that cause prices to collapse?

Last edited:
Let me start with I haven't changed anything (yet) in how the prices are determined so this problem must have been there already but the malaria outbreak isn't very common so you probally didn't notice it before.
My guess is the economy become very low so thats why the prices are very low.
The economic system isn't all that well written so supply and demand are taken into account to a certain level but there is a lot of randomisation going on there.
Also the fact that the population is very low will not help. as far as I could see the town size is a large portion of how the price is determined.
I have to look into it more to get a better understanding of how it really works but my guess is this:
Because the population is divided by 2/3 while they still have the stock for a larger population they have a way lower demand for the sailcloth (and other items) so the prices are dropped.

Thanks for explaining. It is not normal to see prices that low while the colony still has money. I normally only see prices drop like that when a colony is broke and is trying to get money to rebuild, like right after a pirate raid or a hurricane.

yeah the malaria doesn't affect the money.
You think it should also affect the town money a bit?

Hmm. On the one hand with people dying they aren't spending money, but on the other hand they would be buying lots of medicine and not producing things for trade. Dunno.

Back