• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New Fetch Quest for 3.3 Needs Testing

Heh. It did affect the money. I just went back and Sao Jorge was broke. 0 money. I remember this happening one time before and when I sold my cargo they had negative money and never recovered.

This time I bought all the cargo I could as they still had goods and am hoping they recover.

Id this a bug? I loaded up my ships with goods and sailed to San Juan to sell, but they had just had a malaria plague and also had no money. So here I sit with full holds and nowhere to sell the cargo.

I dunno, like I said still need to take a closer look at the finance system. it could be the money is affected cause the size is reduced etc. The money being 0 sounds very weird.
They should recover over a period of time tough.

Okay this was way more work then I expected but it's done.
Now I can finally add the fetchquest I hope :p.
Still need to do a bit more on it but I could use some more testing again.
Features:
Code:
====News====
News has chances and is easier to mod
News items can initiate a quest
News items have been made translatable
Balanced News item chances and added chance multiplier
====Import/Export=====
Every town now has his own import/export products
Import/export products are determined by:
+ Island worktype (plantation,farming,mining etc) these can be set in the IslandInit
+ Nation of the town (for example the france export wine)
+ Economy of the town (for example a poor town wants medicins)
Import/export products are changes when a town economy changes
Import/export products can be changed by a simple function too
====Internal Settings=====
Added a few paramters there.
EVENT_PER_DAYS                                 21          // INT - How many days it takes before an event can happen again in a town - Levis (used to be 7 in previous release)
EVENT_CHANCE_MULTIPLIER          3            // INT - The higher this value the less likely it is for events to happen - Levis (used to be 1 in previous relese)
UPDATE_IMPORT_PER_DAYS            100        // INT - How many days it takes before the import/export are updated again - Levis
I sugest using a new game. If you do want to test it in your own savegame then use the following commands in the console after loading:
Code:
IslandsInit();
UpdateAllStores(true);
I would do a Reinit before and after that too.
I had to change some core game mechanics to get this to work. I think I got all the bugs but please let me know if you encounter things

For Modders

In Island_Init.c you will see all import/export products are commented out. There is a line now which defines the worktype of the island.
Like:
Code:
rIsland.Trade.Worktype = ISLAND_WORKTYPE_SPICES;
Check Towns\ImportExport.c to see which ones are aviable.

The Import/Export products for each worktype/nation/economy are set in ImportExport.c You can add/change them there. This is a example block for a certain worktype:
Code:
case ISLAND_WORKTYPE_MINING:
            switch(tradetype)
            {
                //Export
                case TRADE_TYPE_EXPORT_NAME:
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_GOLD);
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_SILVER);
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_BRICKS);
                break;
                //Import
                case TRADE_TYPE_IMPORT_NAME:
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_FOOD);
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_COFFEE);
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_SANDAL);
                break;
                //Contraband
                case TRADE_TYPE_CONTRABAND_NAME:
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_EBONY);
                    AddIslandOption(island, q, GOOD_SANDAL);
                break;
            }
        break;
As you see there are goods set for exporting/importing and contraband. You can easily change this or add things. The script can handle it if there are more then 6 things set for an island. It picks some of these things from the list at random. So the more items you add the less control you have over it.

Adding a news item is also very easy. Go to Towns/Events.c
Here you see a list of events like this:
Code:
RandomTownEvent.id = "MALARIA"                                    // Town Economy -1
    RandomTownEvent.chance.starving =         0;                        // Chance of it happening (0-100)
    RandomTownEvent.chance.stuggling =         1;                        // Chance of it happening (0-100)
    RandomTownEvent.chance.surviving =         1;                        // Chance of it happening (0-100)
    RandomTownEvent.chance.prospering =     2;                        // Chance of it happening (0-100)
    RandomTownEvent.chance.wealthy =         3;                        // Chance of it happening (0-100)
    RandomTownEvent.troopmultiplier = 1/2;
    RandomTownEvent.troopsadd = 0;
    RandomTownEvent.sizemultiplier = 1/2;
    RandomTownEvent.sizeadd = 0;
    RandomTownEvent.goldmultiplier = 5/6;
    RandomTownEvent.goldadd = 0;
    RandomTownEvent.economy = -1;
    RandomTownEvent.startquest = "Malaria Strikes";                    // Start a specific quest
    RandomTownEvent.pirate = true;                                    // Pirate towns can also be affected
    AddRandomTownEvent(q, RandomTownEvent);

Most things speak for them self I guess. In RESOURCE\INI\TEXTS\ENGLISH\EventsDesribe.txt you can set the title and description for the event. Like this:
Code:
MALARIA_title {Malaria strikes #stown#}
MALARIA_entry {An increasing number of people in #stown# are reported to have died from Malaria. The civilian losses were quite
high, but the soldiers in the local garrison have suffered even more.}
For now only the #stown# paramter is added. But other values could also be added to the script.

Last edited:
Well, I've been playing this a while and the new economic system has me completely dumbfounded. :pirate07:

The most common contraband is medicaments. Medicine! Who exports medicaments? No one! :8q So much for smuggling.

Havana got hit by a hurricane right after I left at the start of the game. I just went back and while they have plenty of things to sell, they have zero money and said products are ridiculously cheap. In fact prices in general are lower than they used to be. I feel like I'm playing on the wrong level.

I wonder.... could the game be seeing the prices as "text" values or something?
Wouldn't be the first time things go right to 0 on a simple mathematical operation if the game thinks you are subtracting apples from oranges or something.

:shrug

This is new and I am trying to learn the new rules. So far it looks like I am making money but if more colonies drop out I will be in big trouble. Even the smugglers are buying at the low prices.

Well, I have tried studying the colonies and buying and transporting goods based on the import/export charts and lost a lot of money.

I tried smuggling contraband and lost a lot of money.

It seems the only way to make any money is by straight laced hauling cargo for others or piracy.

Like I said i haven't changed anything on the price calculation part (yet) so that must always have been a problem already.
I will look into the medicin thing. Normally medicin should be a contraband for colonies with a high economy. The idea behind it is they have a good thing going and can produce or fix theire own medicin so they don't need medicin from other suppliers then they use.
But indeed I think to have forgotten to set it up as a export product somewhere.

Btw are the events now better or are they still happening to often?

I found two colonies that sell medicaments but forget who they are. It is contraband in all other colonies and the prices are usually less. That is why I lost money when I smuggled it.

In fact prices are all over the place like something is wrong. I was at Port au Prince checking prices and they looked wrong, so I left that menu and then went back to it and the prices had changed. Something is not right.
beta3 2014-05-05 10-17-47-82.jpg beta3 2014-05-05 10-19-06-23.jpg

I am at level 5 and not visited most colonies yet, but at least 1/3rd are out of the game already.

hmm.... will take a look at that. That shouldn't happen ....

Another example. The whole economy is too volatile and changes waaaaaaaay too fast. I just sailed from Cartagena to Port a Pitre and then back to Cartagena in just over a month.

Look at how much the commodities and prices had changed!!! It is impossible to plan a trip because everything changes so radically. It should take a year for a colony to change its economy, not weeks.
beta3 2014-05-05 10-42-13-64.jpg beta3 2014-05-05 12-57-08-03.jpg

I seriously have no idea why this is happening. I will look into it very soon (probally tomorrow). I do have some clues tough ....

Wow, that's a bit insane. I think I'm going to wait with posting another WIP version for a short little bit.... :wp

Thank god i'm still playing on apprentice dificulty and arcade mode. That's hilarious! o_O

If i played with the settings of Hylie, i would consider that the game is very drunken.... Ohh POTC NH, you so silly... :rofl

@Hylie Pistof could you check for me if those weird Prices only Show up at the tradebook or also at the stores? I might have made a mistake when I altered the Interface I think. I cant check it now so if you have some time please check for me. My guess is the Prices in the shop do look (sort of) fine but the tradebook is messed up.

I looked again and the tradebook and store prices are pretty close. The problem is that the prices change by the second. :8q

I was just in the Martinique store wanting to buy trade goods for San Juan. I looked at the goods and prices then scrolled to San Juan. Then scrolled back to Martinique, reloaded the tradebook and everything was radically different! Scrolled back to San Juan and everything was radically different! :facepalm It is impossible to trade.:rumgone

Back