• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Included in Build New Replaced Towns

So what should we do with them?

• Total voters
All I'm trying to do is to do the best with the content made by the few modders who are still doing things.
I just don't have time to be too involved anymore. But fact is that two of our modders decided it was worthwhile to spend their time on doing this.

I've fixed the water of the fountain and even added an effect to the water at the bottom of the fountain. About the big gates of Havana, I made a fix. The only problem is a door but big enough for a man.
I'll try to resize the doors in Oranjestad over the next days.

seadogs2_0000.jpg seadogs2_0001.jpg seadogs2_0002.jpg seadogs2_0003.jpg

Thank you for continueing to work on these towns. How many buildings and structures can be shrunk down to a normal size?

Except for small items (like the chests in Oranjestad I've downsized with TOOL), for big locations I would need to use Maya (because some buildings with normal size are gathered with buildings too big for instance. So, impossible to use TOOL) and I'm not a expert in this software to do this work. That's why I can only work on the textures as I did for the gates of Havana. I'll try to do my best to improve the vco locations. When my work finished, let's people decide thanks to the poll if they want to keep or not these locations.:shrug

One thought that sprung to mind: We can apply the "BuildingSet solution" to these new towns.
That is to say, we know there are weird effects with these towns and despite our best efforts, we will not be able to get them perfect.
So why not add a note in the town folks' dialogs to actually comment on those things themselves?
The wonderful world of http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LampshadeHanging . :razz

Is it worth having a toggle between the new and old locations? Or is "toggle" not a word you want to hear? :wp

I'm concerned about the amount of work required for that. And it would be begging for compatibility issues.
Where some storylines are adapted for the new locations and then others not so much. :facepalm

Most likely there will be a long period when the game looks bad before all the locations and objects are properly scaled.

I don't want to be pessimistic. Resizing textures can improve a location (like the gates of Havana). But without working on Maya for some buildings, I cannot see how is it possible to let everything perfect.

... And that's why we have a poll to know if most people prefer (or not prefer) locations not completely perfect but different from the POTC or AOP locations.

I never could learn Maya. Neither could Craiggo. If you guys have not learned by now you probably won't. AFAIK only Armada has been able to learn Maya, and he hates it. :modding

I actually never tried that b4, but I am really eager to learn modding in the storm engine since i have and quest line that i would like to create. About maya, I have only modeling and animation knowledge

Tomorrow, i'll send you a message about a small work with Maya.
But, it would be better if you have the vco locations installed in your game to understand better what i'd like you do.

AFAIK only Armada has been able to learn Maya, and he hates it. :modding
I hate the export process, not Maya itself. GM export is buggy as hell, but it is rather ancient I suppose. :shrug

Back