• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Pieter Boelen
The negativity displayed is mostly towards the fail publisher and not to Joruba, if he feels offended thats his problem, i never mentioned him in any bad way, but its true we got many "promises" but not much actuall stuff. Its an opinion, and opinions can be different, and i dont understand why you need to defend him in any way as he is not attacked. Even you yourself made fun of the "situation": "Was that supposed to be THIS or NEXT year?"

Also negativity about Akella of which you speak of i guess isnt only visible on this forum and its well deserved.

@piratesjunkie
I still think his response was more suggesting that it will be released some day(when he mentioned Santa Clause which you mentioned) than it actually being released on christmass. Also come to think of it if it is christmass it could be your "western" christamss or our "eastern" christmass, but in the end it doesnt rly matter.

I think one of the reasons for delay is that Russian version was badly buggy and almost unplayable.
There were 17 (!!!) patches fo it already.
Akella easily releases unplayable games to Russian market but traditionally afraids doing such things with Western market :)
And I don't think that someone here in Russia is still playing POTEHO even if it became playable at last.
Maybe a small group of obstinate funs only.
All others returned to CoAS and its mods ;-)

It was a mistake from Akella to release this amateur (and not fully developed) mod created for small target auditory of hardcore gamers as a commercial product for "wide" auditory...
But a lust of easy money with famous Corsairs-brand wins. As usual ;-)

I think one of the reasons for delay is that Russian version was badly buggy and almost unplayable.
There were 17 (!!!) patches fo it already.
Akella easily releases unplayable games to Russian market but traditionally afraids doing such things with Western market :)
And I don't think that someone here in Russia is still playing POTEHO even if it became playable at last.
Maybe a small group of obstinate funs only.
All others returned to CoAS and its mods ;-)

It was a mistake from Akella to release this amateur (and not fully developed) mod created for small target auditory of hardcore gamers as a commercial product for "wide" auditory...
But a lust of easy money with famous Corsairs-brand wins. As usual ;-)

That's interesting... I didn't expect it to be so buggy.

Anyway, at least getting the dialog text files could help making our approximate english translation. But the question is... where are they? I downloaded the game and I just tried to translate the text inside the DialogSource.txt file (using 2 types of translators (lol), one to decipher the letter, because it had some strange letters, and the other to translate russian to english) and I got this:

SelectDeliveryTradeDialog0 {file is empty, δλ compatibility of Storm Engine-2.5 He needed there for some reason, is not in the script}

So, why does it mention storm engine 2.5 here? That is pretty strange. Do they mean that the text files were compatible only with 2.5? Then how do they work with 2.8?:confused:

Also, I translated every file in the text folder to english succesfully, using the method I mentioned (though with inaccuracies, of course...)

Might be that the forgot to update the version number on that error message; that is an easy mistake to make.

What if you manually put some text in on only one line? One that you know where it displays in the game, so you can check if it works.
Perhaps the automatic translation messed up the formatting of the file, so the game can't read it anymore.
If there are too many or not enough of the { and } for example, you'll get issues.

Might be that the forgot to update the version number on that error message; that is an easy mistake to make.

What if you manually put some text in on only one line? One that you know where it displays in the game, so you can check if it works.
Perhaps the automatic translation messed up the formatting of the file, so the game can't read it anymore.
If there are too many or not enough of the { and } for example, you'll get issues.

You mean "{ and }", instead of "{and}"? (without spacing on both sides) Instead, it messed up on some "{and}" by changing them to "and { }". I tracked down all of those and corrected them, but didn't put much emphasis to "{ and }". I thought the game would interpret the word just with some spacing on both sides, without that causing any error.

Oh and yes, I did check changing a text manualy to see if it works in game and it did!:)

In general, every translation I did works in game, I just don't remember some of the "{ and }" lines to check if they work properly in game. There are some untranslated (or not translated properly) text lines that I noticed in game too, but I am not sure if they are from the "{ and }" ones.

EDIT: I just uploaded the translated (approximately) files. Just through them in POTEHO/RESOURCE/INI/texts/russian, but don't try another language folder name, or it won't work. It only reads the russian one.

Attachments

• translation.rar
    105.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
17 patches? Ouch! But we already know that what works in one computer might not work in the next one. It sounds like they are still in beta.

You mean "{ and }", instead of "{and}"? (without spacing on both sides) Instead, it messed up on some "{and}" by changing them to "and { }". I tracked down all of those and corrected them, but didn't put much emphasis to "{ and }". I thought the game would interpret the word just with some spacing on both sides, without that causing any error.
What you put between the {and} doesn't matter at all; that is just what displays. However, what comes before the first { on that line must not be changed, because that is what the code calls.

What you put between the {and} doesn't matter at all; that is just what displays. However, what comes before the first { on that line must not be changed, because that is what the code calls.

Yes, I know that, but you were refering to { and } that were causing issues not the line before it, so I got a bit confused. So, then everything works fine, except the translation is not accurate, of course.:rolleyes:

Perhaps I should have written:
...between the "{" and the "}"...
That's what I meant. I didn't mean the spacing in-between has anything to do with it. :no

Oh well, at least we got it clarified. That's got to count for something. :wp

That's interesting... I didn't expect it to be so buggy.
Do not pay attention to bna’s reviews about this game.
He did not play a licensed version of the PO:TEHO. It is possible that he did not play this game at all.
So his opinion about the game is not worth a penny.
17 patches? Ouch! But we already know that what works in one computer might not work in the next one. It sounds like they are still in beta.
There was only one global patch that required a new game.
Eleven minor changes have been made within one month after the release. This reflects the careful attention of the BlackMark Studio to players’ reviews.

Eleven minor changes have been made within one month after the release. This reflects the careful attention of the BlackMark Studio to players’ reviews.
True, that! Making a perfect release from the start is virtually impossible. So fixes after the release indicate that at least the developers care. :cheers

Do not pay attention to bna’s reviews about this game.
He did not play a licensed version of the PO:TEHO. It is possible that he did not play this game at all.
So his opinion about the game is not worth a penny.

There was only one global patch that required a new game.
Very funny :)
http://www.blackmark.bz/forums/index.php?showtopic=2392
Everybody can count number of fixes by themselves ("History" in first post)

And have you looked into my bank account to allege that I hadn't bought the game or played it at all?
Can you prove this?
Or just bla-bla-bla?

True, that! Making a perfect release from the start is virtually impossible. So fixes after the release indicate that at least the developers care. :cheers
Critical bug with world map making main questline virtually unplayable was fixed only in 1.1.0 -- almost 3 monthes after game release.
And about develepment's care you can read on Russian forums ;-)
But everybody can believe in everything he wants to believe...

I would have taken on a Google translate methodology myself a long time ago if the Program file dialogue folders were available. You are only getting part of the necessary dialogue content from the RESOURCE file. With the Program file unavailable, it is impossible to do a full and meaningful English translation.

MK

I would have taken on a Google translate methodology myself a long time ago if the Program file dialogue folders were available. You are only getting part of the necessary dialogue content from the RESOURCE file. With the Program file unavailable, it is impossible to do a full and meaningful English translation.

MK

It's not that simple. Apart from google translator, you also need one more translator to decode the weird characters in the text files back to russian, and you need to see how to use it. Not to mention the amount of lines some text files have and the translator can't complete the whole process at once, but part by part. And also, the mess that google translator caused to some lines (some "{example}" became "{ } example", for example), added even more to the time. Just those files, took me about 2-3 hours to translate and fix.

And of course, it's not the whole translation. Sorry, for not mentioning that, I thought it was obvious. I just uploaded those files if anyone wanted to take a look at them and see which ones are ingame and how they were (approximately, of course) translated.

Last edited:
hey guys, im russian.... aaaand i made it out of tutorial island XD damn even for a russian it wasnt that easy... I skipped/failed one quest in there cuz i didnt want to wait for the deal. Other than that i am on free roam like in COAS right now and must say that its awesome!!! Dat Indian officer reminds me of Winnetou or so^^

It's not that simple. Apart from google translator, you also need one more translator to decode the weird characters in the text files back to russian, and you need to see how to use it.

No I'm very aware of the additional translator required for the odd lower case Cyrillic. I have used it before with COAS as it has thousands of lines written the same way. My whole point is that the Resource\INI and alias files contain only about one fifth or sixth of the overall dialogue files. The rest are in the unavailable Program file which was my point. I applaud your efforts JohnV, but its like only having one piece of the puzzle. Hopefully one day we can get ahold of the elusive PO:TEHO Program files. There's lots of other things I could figure out as well if I only had them.....like how to implement the lower fight decks - something I would give my left one for....

MK

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back