• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

PotC Build Mod Ship Cleanup

Personnaly I've never liked Manowar 3 and COAS Soleil Royal so much anyway... If I begin to do a bit of alpha texturing I don't know how to move an alpha map yet, but, as you say, if anyone wants, the files will be available

Here the adress for the transparency pak 1.0

http://rapidshare.com/files/42130755/ships_pak_by_sonik_1.0.7z

The definitive version with all the changes on the models didn't survive :(

However, we get

The Battleship and the Frigate with transparent windows, and in Fact, all the AOP ships with all their colour schemes with windows, except the lugger, the sloop, the schooner, the tartane, the corvette and the brig

. The new Lineship5 has got a different colour; I think the original AoP colour, so we lost the retexture there...
I restored the Build 14 Beta 1 colour for the Lineship5 while retaining the transparent windows.
Additionally, I applied the transparent windows to NL_Lineship2 as well.

Personnaly I've never liked Manowar 3 and COAS Soleil Royal so much anyway...
Me neither. Though I do like the Manowar3 texture, I don't like the model. :facepalm

I've uploaded the Sonic Ships Pak in my folder on the FTP, they are now safe and available

By the way, I this, seemed nice to me, so I post it here, just in case, as we're looking for detailed models

post-2694-1273739273.jpg

http://legend.seaward.ru/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=19808

(those are textures for the Oiseau Bleu in COAS)

fbe04d0511cbae2cd4deefc698ac24a8.jpg

http://www.sendspace.com/file/uislui

I downloaded the schooner, and its impressive, totally the kind of things we look for those days :

This is the link of the topic it comes from

http://legend.seaward.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=6374&st=20&p=259231&#entry259231

Looking through all those additional windowed ships, I found that:
. A whole bunch of them appear to not be modified in any way.
. The FastGalleon1 uses the Galeon_h1 model, but Thomas the Terror reworked the texture to use the Galeon_l1 image work.
. Some do have some pretty nice textures, but I don't know if those are original AoP/CoAS or modded work.
. The new Sloop1 has a pretty nice texture. Should we use this or keep what we have?
. Battleship3 and Battleship4 can be windowed now!
. Frigate6 can be windowed now!
. The other ships don't have windows added, apart from the WarShip1, which we don't use in the PotC Build Mod anyway.

About the fastgaleon1&2. I had trouble getting fastgaleon1 to show properly in GMViewer at first, but it did show later and now, and it looks ok to me using Sebs textures. There is a nice map on the back wall. I saw it at a distance in game and it looked ok. The same goes for fastgaleon2. I got very close to it in game and it looked ok. Do the black lines only show when you combine textures?

Fluett = fluyt5 eh?

Caravol1, the Carrack does not have windows for me. Does it work for others?

The black lines always show also in the Build 14 Beta 1 version. See attached picture.

I do have the cabin showing on the Carrack. You need this texture though:
http://www.pyratesahoy.com/potc/Seb/bortoutcaravol1.tga.tx

I can confirm that texture solves the Carrack's windows. :onya

As for that schooner Seb posted, she looks pretty nice! :woot

And... well that's all I can think of for now, there's LOADS to reply to. I'll have a more in-depth look a little later.

Now I know this is wishful thinking and it's not likely to happen, but I'd like it if each nation had approximately the same set of ships available, but in appropriate colour schemes. Exceptions can be made for one-nation-only ships. And then just a bunch of generic ships to complete the bunch of the more piratey players.
This I agree with. It would be great in a prefect world. But, our world being as it is at present... :facepalm
That doesn't make it impossible, though.

The proposed naming conventions look sensible to me. :yes But I think we should keep the Constitution/BattleFrigate names as they are currently.
That might indeed be best. Any thoughts on the USS Enterprise though?
Well I'm thinking that if we had a proper US texture for USS_Enterprise, then she could remain a US ship. If not, then perhaps she could be generalised.

True; the Battleship2 would get only one edition. We could keep the NL_Battleship and make her generic or maybe someone (Seb?) could make another, more distinct, texture? On the other hand, I don't object so much to having only one model based on the Battleship2. As long as it's not zero. ;)
Well when we consider the diversity we're after, it would ultimately be nicer to have at least 2 textures per model, except unique or quest-specific ones.
And I certainly agree that we need at least one left! She's one of the nicer stock models, in my opinion. :p3

For FrigateNKSup, I'd agree with the different texture, but surely then she'd be pirate-exclusive, as Frigate3 has a very piratey feel, to me.
Agreed. I reckon "super" ships should be pirate-only anyway.
I think originally that ship was made to have the same stats as the Mefisto, but look different, because Nathan Kell did like the Mefisto's stats, but not her looks.
At least changing the texture is easy in this case. But what about all the accompanying details Seb added to Frigate3, which are different to FrigateNKSup?

The reverse lighting ships are all of Pgargon's ones, right? Do you know any others?
Do you remember any other issues, such as walk patch and see-through windows (to be reconsidered after adding Seb's fixes for that).
Yes, all of pgargon's ships are bugged, but apart from that I'm pretty sure most ships are fine with this.
Other issues: HMS_Surprise (FR_Boussole and Surprise1, too) has a bugged walk file. It's floating above the deck, and some crew climb rigging that isn't there.
That's all I can remember for now. No other transparent window issues, I think. :onya

Personnaly I've never liked Manowar 3 and COAS Soleil Royal so much anyway...
Me neither. Though I do like the Manowar3 texture, I don't like the model. :facepalm
This model seems to be pretty unpopular... therefore she should be dropped, don't you think? We have a perfectly good range of Manowars anyway.

Ah. I am using Seb's textures only and they do not have the black lines.

The Carrack is good now! :onya I'm impressed with that ship. Her Captain charges right into the middle of battles and uses a lot of ammo but after it's over she always has the least damage by far. :sail

The fluett is not working for me. Have not tried the sonic pack yet.

Yes, all of pgargon's ships are bugged, but apart from that I'm pretty sure most ships are fine with this.
Other issues: HMS_Surprise (FR_Boussole and Surprise1, too) has a bugged walk file. It's floating above the deck, and some crew climb rigging that isn't there.
Were those ships ever re-rigged?

This model seems to be pretty unpopular... therefore she should be dropped, don't you think? We have a perfectly good range of Manowars anyway.
I'm removing the Soleil Royal in Patch 4; the manowar3 will probably go in Build 14 Beta 2.

Ah. I am using Seb's textures only and they do not have the black lines.
Because Seb's files use the original skins and it's the Build 14 Beta 1 skins that were bugged.

Were those ships ever re-rigged?
Not as far as I know, but I meant that they sometimes climb imaginary rigging which is not related to any masts.
It looks to me like another ship's walk file altogether. :?

For Build 14 Beta 1, I'm removing all code for the Soleil Royal and having the Assassin storyline use La Couronne instead.
Additionally, Pgargon's HMS Mordaunt will now overwrite the Mordaunt1 instead of being Mordaunt11
and use Yo Ho Ho's Mordaunt texture instead of the CoAS default Arabelle Ship texture.
Jack Harrison's Surprise1 model is also not being included because of beeping issues. :facepalm

Additionally, Pgargon's HMS Mordaunt will now overwrite the Mordaunt1 instead of being Mordaunt11
and use Yo Ho Ho's Mordaunt texture instead of the CoAS default Arabelle Ship texture.
Why the texture change? The current ArabellaShip looks fine to me. :?

Jack Harrison's Surprise1 model is also not being included because of beeping issues. :facepalm
That one's a shame; it's a nice model which he reworked very well. Can't it be fixed? (I know I say that all the time)

Because the Mordaunt1 uses a custom texture while the Mordaunt11 (Pgargon's) uses stock CoAS material.
So I changed it so we'll use Pgargon's model with Yo Ho Ho's texture and that way keep as much as possible the modders' work.

We also made a decision in the past to try to minimize the use of unaltered work from other games.
This in an effort to at least not be fully illegal through stealing, but at least put some of our own efforts in.

That one's a shame; it's a nice model which he reworked very well. Can't it be fixed? (I know I say that all the time)
He said he'd try to upload a fixed one when he's finished with his film version.
When that happens, we'll be able to replace the HMS Surprise with his version instead.

Because the Mordaunt1 uses a custom texture while the Mordaunt11 (Pgargon's) uses stock CoAS material.
So I changed it so we'll use Pgargon's model with Yo Ho Ho's texture and that way keep as much as possible the modders' work.

We also made a decision in the past to try to minimize the use of unaltered work from other games.
This in an effort to at least not be fully illegal through stealing, but at least put some of our own efforts in.
Stealing? Pirates don't steal. It's more like "borrowing, with every intention of bringing it back". :cheeky
Still, I didn't realise that was an issue here.

As for the Surprise, that's good to hear. :yes

Stealing? Pirates don't steal. It's more like "borrowing, with every intention of bringing it back". :cheeky
Still, I didn't realise that was an issue here.
Haha! I know. :cheeky
It isn't that much of a problem, but we don't want it to become a problem either.
We made the decision to, if we do include stuff from other games, try to at least edit them.
That way we're not just borrowing, but are putting our own touch on it. :wp

That's fair enough; take no risks and we don't risk being complained at. :dance

Modders, please see here: http://forum.piratesahoy.net/topic/16164-build-14-beta-1-patch-news/page__view__findpost__p__381444
I posted Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 4 internally for now and would like some confirmation on whether it works properly or not.
So many things have been done, especially to the ships, that it'd be good for someone to check up on it.

Also, now that we pretty much have many ships in the game fixed up in various ways or otherwise been given more detail,
we should be having a better base to continue this cleanup project than before.
So I'm hoping now that we've got all updates together in one file, people will soon start posting more comments here on what to lose,
what to keep or what to adjust and fix to give us as good a collection of ships as we can get. :woot

Now that the full list is in the opening post and Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 4 has been released, does anyone have anything to say on this one?
Please do post whatever you've got as far as comments and opinions are concerned, so we can soon actually get started on doing this.

Back