• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Raa frigate

That's fine by me. There's not much you can say about it, anyway. :onya

Did some simple ones for your three new repaints too:
Code:
FR_Bellona_Descr{French version of 'HMS Bellona',
built to the design of Sir Thomas Slade.}
US_Bellona_Descr{United States version of 'HMS Bellona',
built to the design of Sir Thomas Slade.}
RN_Superbe_Descr{British version of the French 'Le Superbe'.
Part of the famous Téméraire class.}

AHA, I knew I'd forget to do something for those ships! :urgh

The only thing I would do is change "built to/part of" to "based on", because they're meant to be either captured or built to the lines of the original ships.

Hylie, can you make a screenshot so Armada can put her in the Ship Screenshots file? I don't have her installed yet because I've been busy with Beta 2. Otherwise I should be able to make a screenshot tomorrow.

I was not being a jerk with that screenie above. That is seriously as low as I can go. :shrug

Even with the camera zoomed in fully? That really IS bad. :facepalm

I'll give it a shot tomorrow. Maybe I can make it work for a screenshot at least. :facepalm

Managed to get her on the screen by changing my game resolution:
RN_RaaFrigate.png

She DOES have a really bad camera issue though. :facepalm

Ugh, I don't much like those sails. Bit of an odd proportion compared to most ships. :blink:
Anyway, I'll get this in the Interface Screenshots ASAP.

Changed the resolution, yes. Just temporarily set my game to no longer be widescreen and then she showed up OK-ish again.

I've been sailing her in POTC, and shes a fine ship but I must say the sails look a bit oddly proportioned. The foresail and mainsail appear to be rather thin and the foretopsail and maintopsail seem a bit wide. The sails seem oddly tapered in and the topsails tapered out and too short.

The other day, I encountered the Raa as part of a large enemy fleet in the game, and via a long series of events, I ended up in control of it because my other ship was close to sinking.
This short-lived period when I had the ship (I was soon boarded by a Fleuron 3rd Rate and killed :ko) reminded me of just how bad the camera issue was, and how strange the sail proportions were.
Note the use of "was" and "were"...
Raa_new1.png

Raa_new2.png

Raa_new3.png
See that first screenshot? The camera is fully zoomed out. The others are fully zoomed in. And she has better sail proportions! And gunport hatches! And longer flags!
So yes, I fixed it. :monkeydance Download the fixed version here: RN_RaaFrigate_Fix.7z Extract to RESOURCE\MODELS\Ships.

It turns out the method of splitting the model up into all the separate components via TOOL was the answer to getting the model into Maya.
From there, it was easy enough to split the mast and flagpole away from the rest of the hull, as well as fixing a couple of mapping issues and adding the missing gunport hatches.
I made a point of assigning alternative textures instead of using the silly Raa#.tga textures, which are all copies of other textures anyway.
I also took the liberty of HEX editing the yards to use dek3.tga instead of deck.tga, which looks much better.
One further change to make for Beta 3 is to remove the GeraldSails lines for rey_a2 and rey_a3. And I'm gonna need a nice interface screenshot to replace the old one. :cheeky

Wow, that IS a big load of "BETTER"! Just for the sake of it, I tried her out before and after your fix.
Thanks a lot for doing this. No more camera issue makes her SO much nicer to sail too. :onya

See attached for an interface screenshot; can you work with that one?

BTW: "RN_RaaFrigate_guns.gm" does still use Raa#.tga, so I wasn't able to remove all of them.

Attachments

• RN_RaaFrigate.jpg
    RN_RaaFrigate.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 255
This is long overdue, especially considering how common this ship is now. :onya

Better late than never, eh? :cheeky

See attached for an interface screenshot; can you work with that one?
Well, she'd look better with the navy flag, but for that you'll have to go and get a Letter of Marque.
That 'HMS cheat' had its uses, didn't it? :razz

BTW: "RN_RaaFrigate_guns.gm" does still use Raa#.tga, so I wasn't able to remove all of them.
Yeah, so do masts 1, 3 and 4. I only changed the textures for the hull and mast2 (which had issues with TOOL). I have a feeling other ships use some of those textures as well.
I think for Beta 3 we should probably have a HUGE clear-out of duplicate textures such as these. I know it will require a lot of HEX editing and exporting through Maya, but it should save us quite a bit of space.

Well, she'd look better with the navy flag, but for that you'll have to go and get a Letter of Marque.
That 'HMS cheat' had its uses, didn't it? :razz
Why didn't you say so yesterday?!? :grr
If you really want it, it can be arranged one way or another. I didn't think you would even be able to tell the difference at the reduced size...

Yeah, so do masts 1, 3 and 4. I only changed the textures for the hull and mast2 (which had issues with TOOL). I have a feeling other ships use some of those textures as well.
I think for Beta 3 we should probably have a HUGE clear-out of duplicate textures such as these. I know it will require a lot of HEX editing and exporting through Maya, but it should save us quite a bit of space.
That would indeed be pretty cool! :woot

Why didn't you say so yesterday?!? :grr
If you really want it, it can be arranged one way or another. I didn't think you would even be able to tell the difference at the reduced size...

I assumed you'd give her a navy flag anyway... never mind. But because one flag is red and the other is blue, I think most people can tell the difference. :wp

Sorry; didn't think of it. :facepalm

Do you mean what you say in that post above or did you write the opposite? :confused:

Back