• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Remus77 Christianus/Trinity

I don't want this ship to end up looking like the Constitution with Staysl's all over the place, but methinks there should be one or two more small ones somewhere. In my opinion there is too much other rigging in the way to make a staysl on the bowsprit practical. Also, the only ships I have seen with this type of bowsprit and staysl's are the original pinnace and fluyt, and they can't be taken seriously.

Yeah, if we start talking politics we will just get our posts deleted again........:ko

The only places you would really see stays'ls on a vessel like that are in the areas I spoke about. We could potentially just do away with the stays'ls, since vessel like that one were almost never do pivoted with them. I'll add more to this once I get to a computer. (I'm on my phone at the moment.)

Flax oil? What color is that?

Would it look better with one more small staysl over the lifeboat?

The red sails on the TrinityCS were not part of my export as I figured you guys wouldn't care for them in terms of realism and only ported the sails for the TrinityDM as they are a direct part of that ship's recreation.

It couldn't be much smaller than the one you already have and remain realistc. I think that the only way to balance the rig is to go with the mizzen stays'l, main stays'l, main topmast stays'l, and fore topmast stays'l. Otherwise, you'll just be throwing the vessel's head off the wind. Again, we could go without stays'ls, as ships of this type and era were almost always depicted without stays'ls in period sources.

I think that the QAR model is a good reference. The bowsprit (not jibboom, in this case) looks different, but the two are actually quite similar in form, if not dimension. Imagine the model's bowsprit with the addition of a sprit topmast.

Political crap: Neither Obama nor Romney were gentlemen, and it is unfair to insinuate that Romney was the only liar on that stage.

Hylie, The hulls were painted with flax oil.

Um OK... I'll bite. The "pirate store" wouldn't have Flax oil (linseed oil) because the flax industry did not come to the New World until the mid/late 1700s. So the only place to get linseed oil would be European ports - same place as I said you would need to go to get repainted after a tour in the tropics.

Were SOME ships painted with linseed oil?

YES I'm certain that SOME were.

Were - ALL - ships painted with linseed oil? ----------- Absolutely not.--------------

The flax growing industry in Europe had been booming since the 1200s, but its primary end product was linen. Linseed oil would not have been consistently available all year round for ship yards.

Oils were a primary component of MOST historic marine paint. Certainly linseed oil was used - ALONG WITH fish oil, animal fats, (and whale oil in the mid 1600s onward). I'm sure many marine paints had linseed oil in them as part of the HOT compound I talked about in my earlier post http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/new-look-for-yoho-s-convoy-ship.15004/

I'll say it again... historic marine PAINTS/preservation compounds were composed of many components: pitch, tar, oils, fats, blood, greases, broken glass and various additives including ash, clay, rosin, minerals - such as lime or copper sulphate AND the elements necessary to create a particular color if desired.

It was all dependent on WHERE the ship was and WHEN. To say that flax/linseed oil was used exclusively to paint ships is a subjective, bold sweeping generalization - just as assuming that color was not used that much is also - It's just plain silly. Show me the proof. The historic paintings, models, lading records, and supply/requisition & balance sheets for shipyards are all in my favor.

I may have to dig out my graduate paper on 17th century industries that supported war (written in 1996), and scan it in just for the bibliography.

I'm actually glad of this debate, because it forced me to look in many books. This subject is really not covered very well even in the "Arming and Fitting..." books. "Pepys's NAVY" covers it a little. Bjorn Landstrom's landmark work "The Ship" covers it a little. Another book I have on "SHIPS' Figureheads" by Norton, talks about the use of multiple colorful paints used (quite a number of very old examples survive).

In the book "The Construction and Fitting of the English Man of War, 1650-1850, there is an appendix (3) "Navy Board Order on painting ships dated 18 July 1715" that is very specific about colors (especially yellow and black) specifying that solid colors will be used except on the head and stern galleries. It also warns captains not to deviate on the gallery colors and decoration colors specified by Admiralty contract - even if captains were willing to have special paintwork commissioned at their own "charge"/expense. I find this very interesting. It tells me that this must have been a practice of captains prior to 1715.

Another excellent book I have "Six Galleons for the King of Spain", by Carla Rahn Phillips (ISBN 0-8018-4513-0) is EXHAUSTIVELY researched using thousands of original documents. (I used this one for my paper) She talks about the shipwrights inspecting the work of the caulkers before tarring, because you could not see bad work after tarring. Also among what was called common "naval stores" aboard each galleon was "tar, resin and oils." Preferred among the oils was dogfish, shark, and sardines. Tuna oil was forbidden because it would make the paint and tar peel off especially in cold temperatures.....interesting. Their paint must have really smelled. Pew. Last she discusses that the delivery of the galleons was delayed by almost a year because of protests by the contractors. Specifically in the grievances and excuses the Noble (Arana) in charge of completing the ships, gave to King Phillip was that.....

"......outfitting had doubled its cost...from PROVIDING DECORATIVE PAINTING AND GILDING for the ships."

Ever see My Cousin Vinny?

LAST: Is from a book published in 1925, called "Old Ship Figure-Heads and Sterns", by L.G. Carr Laughton (ISBN 0-486-41533-3). This is the most exhaustively researched book I've ever come across on this subject with thousands of illustrations. He covers basically every European nation in depth by time period showing very detailed evolutions. It isn't just about figureheads and sterns either. He talks about ALL decorations to include railings, strakes, gunports, etc... In this book he devotes all of chapter X to "Painting and Guilding" pp257-279. He goes from the Middle Ages all the way to 1815. Several little interesting quotes .... 2000 English Pounds spent specifically for "Painting" the HMS Prince when only 756 English Pounds was spent on "carving and gilding". 6,691 English Pounds was spent on the Sovereign of the Seas painting. All I can figure was that the cost of the paint itself and the dozens of additional contractors/painters that had to put it on must have far exceeded the few required for carving and gilding. Under Oliver Cromwell a ship's paint budget was cut down to 80 Pounds a year for Second rate ships. Must have made for very monotone boring paint jobs during the 1650s.

Here's a funny one. English Restoration Era Ships that "looked SLUTTISH enough" after a winter season were given new paint as part of their refit. I wonder what determined how "sluttish" it would have to look? LOL xD

Laughton makes the observation that the English used linseed oil specifically on their "blackwork" and black paint, but that the Spanish did not. The Spaniards used lead.

This makes me want to research and write my own book on the subject of paint because of the lack of work in the area. Since I suck at writing historical fiction maybe I will be better at historical documentation.

This is just a sampling .... I have thousands of books in my library - Dozens that I haven't even read or looked at. I wanted to digest them during retirement before I die. I do not think I will read them all before then - I'd rather go sailing, fishing, drinking.....and of course play COAS and POTC. :sail

Edit: I don't know why I bother with researching things like this. No one really cares anyway. I wont do it again. MK

MK

I spend more time doing politics than I do here. You are out of your league kid.

I will just say that if Romneyhood had not taken that amnesty for tax cheaters in 2009, he would be facing felony tax fraud charges right now today. He might anyway.

Concerning the debate, and only the debate, which was the intent of my original comment, I'll still stand by my statement that neither candidate conducted his self like a gentleman. Both of them threw out the debate format that they had agreed upon prior to the debate, rolling over Jim Lehrer in the process.* Romney is most guilt of this, but Obama's "I had five seconds before you interrupted me" comment, which he followed with another half minute of speaking, balanced it out nicely. I believe, when all was said and done, that he spoke for a longer amount of time than Romney. Both sides told apparent lies that I'm sure will be proved wrong in the coming days.

*The results were interesting, though.

I did gain one profound revelation from the debate, that not even you can refute:
Romney loves Big Bird... Big Bird is a character in a children's show.... so... if you don't like Romney, that means you don't like children...?

According to Wikipedia (dubious, at times) these are recreations of the pigments used at the shipyard where Vasa was built. There would have been variations on all the colors, but it's reasonable to assume that these were fairly typical.
800px-Vasa_color_pigments.jpg

This vessel was built 1733, and fully painted hulls became very common during her lifetime. (1733-1769)

I'm afraid you've veered off topic, my friend.
This ship, meaning the this ship that started the discussion; the one that the thread is based around. That would be the Christianus Sextus. We were never discussing the Vasa, only using resources linked to her as examples... Which brings me to my next point: why are you citing resources that are 100 years too old for the ship we are dealing with? Paint styles changed dramatically in that 105 years.

This thread is dangerously close to getting out of hand. Can we please stick to discussions relevant to the Trinity/Christianus Sextus?
I can see where the paint argument came from, but any further posts containing political discussion will be modified or deleted.

So she's all rigged up and ready for action? That's excellent! :dance
Now all that's left before official release is a finished path model and a walk file...

Back