• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Remus77 Christianus/Trinity

Nice work Mates!

She's a beauty. Thanks for the textures Armada. She is fully ported into Eras. Here's some COAS screens. MK
start_120929_1137546.JPG

start_120929_1148478.JPG

And it does not change? Default textures look pathetic. :shrug
For your information, I assigned those textures to the ship, and I do not appreciate feedback like that.
Anyway, Noriruru submitted some other textures on the previous page.

I personally think the textures look great. I think "pathetic" is a pretty strong word. If they looked like they were pixilated or bit-mapped like they came out of a 1980s Atari or Commodore video game then I might use "pathetic". Maybe you have some better ones you could - share - with us.

MK

I liked the textures, despite the stretching. It doesn't ruin the appearance of the vessel at all. Right now, all we're missing are stays for the upper masts, as well as a few fore-and-aft sails. I've drawn blanks in all the books I've looked in for heads'ls so far, but I have at least one more spot I'd like to look. I may be able to go down to where the resource is located tomorrow evening.

The textures work ok for me and I can make re-textures effortlessly (which I also like). Besides this is a PotBS model using PotBS textures, given that it turned out great.

I'm really glad to have my PotBS flagship back in a game that won't gimp or remove her. :ship

My hat goes off to Armada who put in a lot of work to get her in game, GREAT WORK there mate!:bow

So unless you're volenteering to redo the textures yourself I wouldn't complain.

With all of this interest a short update is in order. The stays are in and I'm starting on the Staysl's. Splitting a staysl between two masts results in an Instacrash. So just be sure you don't lose a mast! :wp

Well here's my flagship in PotC.
TrinityDM.gif

This is the TrinityDM variant I have submitted (sails are included too).

I guess that's cool in its own stylized artistic way. But it lacks realism. Don't take offense mate, but it looks kinda like I'm watching a cartoon. :popcorn: Some people like that I know. MK

Cartoon? :wp The red color lets the figurehead really stand out. And I personally prefer red decks. They were painted that way to hide the blood when battle was engaged and keep the crew from panicking.

You guys are really going to hate what I've been doing. After doing 2 triangular staysl's I deleted them and started over. Now it will be 4 sided staysl's everywhere.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/iHc7KwA6jE/POTC screenies/Trinity-5.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/kxFhO0PWi-/POTC screenies/Trinity-6.jpg

Red decks? That sounds very questionable to me. The paint would have been removed every morning when the decks were holystoned. On a man of war, or many private vessels, that would mean painting the decks every day, and making them inaccessible to the crew during drying. Decks were never oiled (linseed oil or the like) for the same reason. It wouldn't last more than twenty hours.

Looks good, but the forward bottom corner of the sail (tack) should be a bit higher up, and the after corner (clew) should be lower than the tack.

Red decks? That sounds very questionable to me. The paint would have been removed every morning when the decks were holystoned. On a man of war, or many private vessels, that would mean painting the decks every day, and making them inaccessible to the crew during drying. Decks were never oiled (linseed oil or the like) for the same reason. It wouldn't last more than twenty hours.
The routines were not the same on 16th and 17th century man o war. They also dramatically differed between nations. One of the reasons that I love that time so much is because of the lack of standardization. Nations and Navies were learning what worked and what didn't.

Hylie is correct. Many nations did indeed paint the decks and inner gunwales of their ships red to prevent panic. However it was not paint as we think of paint now Mates. It was usually concoctions consisting of primarily oxblood and/or pig's blood that would actually SOAK into the wood. There was no scrubbing it out once it had been coated multiple times. Blood during this time was an actual industry. Dyes were made from it, paints, ink, and at the low end it was congealed into blood sausage. There were always slaughter-houses right on the navy yards.

You also must consider that 17th century naval warfare was a much larger, widespread, and bloodier, chaotic kind of warfare than the much smaller, sporadic and more sanitary actions of the 18th century. Fleets would join battle often with more than a hundred ships per side. It was not unusual for the losing side to leave the action with five to eight thousand men dead. The preferred tactic was still boarding over line-ahead gunnery, so the ships were floating melee platforms. You also must consider that every single decade of that century was marked by multiple HUGE battles! There was no long breaks or cessations of warfare as you found in the 18th. Some ships had really long lives and would enjoy amazing careers refit after refit. Just look at the Sovereign of the Seas, she was launched in 1637 and was still being used along side other capital ships in 1697 when she was accidentally destroyed by a fire. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Sovereign_of_the_Seas I have quotes from Samuel Pepys own diaries of his disgust at the red bloody decks when he would go aboard her. The sailors and soldiers would all claim that is was their blood that stained the decks red.

Thus ends another history lesson. :bonaparte

MK

The routines were not the same on 16th and 17th century man o war. They also dramatically differed between nations. One of the reasons that I love that time so much is because of the lack of standardization. Nations and Navies were learning what worked and what didn't.

Hylie is correct. Many nations did indeed paint the decks and inner gunwales of their ships red to prevent panic. However it was not paint as we think of paint now Mates. It was usually concoctions consisting of primarily oxblood and/or pig's blood that would actually SOAK into the wood.

That makes a hell of a lot more sense then. Regular paint, existing on the surface, would have lasted only a few days even without holystoning. I'm still certain that there would have been some widespread and frequent method of holystoning or cleaning even outside the Royal Navy.

I agree with AlexXx. The texture does not fit. Red Sails, which has to do with anything real sailing.

Hmm. Some textures work and some textures do not work. What is the difference between them?

I first learned about the red decks from the modeler doing the Revenge. He even provided an optional red deck which I still use.

Back