• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Remus77 Christianus/Trinity

Haha Guess I'd better get setup as I plan to get to work on her straight away. :yes

One thing I must ask. Has there been new changes to the FTP commander?

I can't seem to access the files at the moment.o_O

When the ship is ready for testing can you give me a download link?
The FTP can no longer be accessed via FTP Commander, as Keith has decided to stop using it. Files will still be available to access here for the next few months.
Most people are using Dropbox now, but I'm using SkyDrive and will provide a link once the files are uploaded. :)

Quick update: all components now successfully exported to GM format. I'm working on getting a fully-functional test version ready, with the bare minimum of locators.
I haven't finished the path model, but I've managed to export a temporary version which allows the player to walk around most of the deck.
Not much longer now, lads! :dance

P.S. Once the test version is uploaded, I'd like someone else to add the rope locators, if possible.

Cannons should work, but I haven't tested them yet because I'm still working on the sails. As soon as I've got her working in-game, I'll let you know. ;)

OK, tests are going well so far. All cannons are fully operational, the path model works well (though is still temporary), no problems with flags. I haven't done the sails yet, though. I was busy using Maya to get the coordinates, when it decided to crash on me, so I'll try again later.

Anyway, here's how she looks in-game without sails:
Trinity_test1.jpg

sweeeet! looks great! the pennant could do with being extended a bit but otherwise its awesome. Isn't it satisfying to finally see her afloat?

HaHa:woot so all she needs now are some sails and the full path file later on. Well Done mate. Can't wait to get my hands on her.

Cap'n Armstrong: It certainly is satisfying, especially after all the grief that Maya has given me with this model! :whipa

Noriruru: Thanks mate, I'll be glad to finally release her after so many weeks (err... months?) of work!
I'm sure Remus77 would love to see his work given a new home, too.

Hylie: Lol, it wouldn't surprise me! The pennant started off as 10 units in length, which didn't look right, so it's now 15 units (as in the screenie). I could maybe push it up to 20, but beyond that is probably unreasonably long. o_O

I know, and it would be nice to have them realistically long in-game. However, for very long pennants, the flag animation starts to look a bit strange, if you ask me. Plus, the textures get stretched to the point where it can be hard to make some of them out.
Having said that, the pennants are generally far better now than they used to be. Some were about as long as an ensign in previous Build 14 versions.

OK gents, I can officially say that the first fully-functional test version of the Trinity class 2nd Rate is now available! You can download "Trinity1_v1.0.7z" from my SkyDrive folder here. :dance

Trinity_test2.jpg

She finally has sails so can actually move properly, but I've only done the bare minimum. Stays'ls and a lot more ropes are needed to finish off the rigging, but I refuse to do that myself, mainly because I have several other projects to do, and the next Build 14 update is fast approaching. So... Hylie or Craiggo, could either of you kind souls please add the finishing touches? :wp

What I will do, however, is finish off the path model soon. Currently you can only access one deck level, so I still need to open up the quarterdeck at the very least.
She will also need a walk/sailorspoints file, which I would rather not do, but if nobody else does, then I might have no choice.

The 7zip file contains all the GM files, plus "custom_texture.tga.tx" and a first draft ships_init entry (made for PotC; will need adjusting for CoAS).
More refinement to the stats will need to be discussed for the final version.

Let me also apologise for taking so ridiculously long with getting this ship ported. She should have been in the game months ago, but I've had so much to do for my other projects. :facepalm

Ok, I just dl'ed the Trinity. :dance
I have no idea what Craiggo is up to, so will just jump in. Hmm, if Craiggo will do the sailorpoints and hull1,2,3 I will do the rigging. Or I can do hul1,2,3 too.
Post Captain! What kind of staysl's did this thing have?

It definitely did have stays'ls and heads'ls, as would all ships of that time period. This might help you with the shape of the sails. It's a smaller vessel, but of the proper era.
Renommee.jpg

Unfortunately that's all I could find in the way of sail plans showing the cut of the sails. I would strongly recommend adding a main stays'l, mizzen stays'l, main topmast stays'l, fore topmast stays'l, and fore t'gallant stays'l, if you're up to it. I've also seen main topmast stays'ls of the era shaped like the later trapezoidal stays'ls (see ship sail plan on parts of a ship thread) but with the bottom side of the sail (the foot) sloping downward at twenty degrees or so. I personally prefer that shape, as it results in a greater sail area while maintaining enough windward performance for the vessel's hull type.

That should also apply here. The bold text is important for this type of vessel. They wouldn't have been quite as tall as the ones on Constitution, for example.

Edit: Need to look through heads'l references- no time tonight, so it may be best to hold off on those two for now.

Back