• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Remus77 Christianus/Trinity

Nothin' new this week, sorry. :eek:ops Will try to speed things up for next week...

Sorry, I meant to post a progress update the other day, but didn't get round to it.
Anyway, latest news is that the cannons are almost all fitted (only the gun barrels for the lower hull left to do), with the gunport hatches not far behind. :dance
Then it's only the path model to do before full preparation for exporting to GM.

I'm sort of working on some projects in rotation, to maintain my interest in each one, which is probably why things have been going fairly slowly.
This beauty will be in GM format pretty soon, I can assure you. What happens then depends on whether I manage to export locators with the model.
If that doesn't work, then it just means Craiggo has more work to do than expected.
Plus, we'll also need to decide on the ship's specific stats at some point (crew, cargo capacity, hull strength, sailing characteristics, etc).

This is great news. :yes

This gets more exciting the closer each step gets being completed.

I can certainly use the re-energizing that this ship will bring to the game. I also can't wait to see what the ship looks like with actual gunport hatches on her.

With the path file it would be pretty cool to be able to fully explore at least the first two decks.

As for the ship init stats we can worry about that AFTER we have the model.

Heck all I need is to know how many guns are on the ship and I usually end up doing my own rough drafts just as I did when I got my hands on the Poseidon model as well as the Raa.
Just let me know when the model is ready for game testing and put her in the FTP my friend. :doff

As for fresh or future ships might I suggest either Remus77's San Fernando or KrisWood's Centurion.
On the topic of other ships I wonder how Iron Roger Flint is coming along with the HMS Prince as I've heard nothing on this ship since SeaNorris announced us getting her.

See ya in another week or two, till then god speed mate. :cheers

With the path file it would be pretty cool to be able to fully explore at least the first two decks.
Yep, I'll make sure that you can walk around the entire open deck.
There are no physical gun decks further down to explore, which is a shame, but they would cost a lot of polygons to model. :shock

As for the ship init stats we can worry about that AFTER we have the model.

Heck all I need is to know how many guns are on the ship and I usually end up doing my own rough drafts just as I did when I got my hands on the Poseidon model as well as the Raa.
Just let me know when the model is ready for game testing and put her in the FTP my friend. :doff
So you'd be willing to give her some initial stats when she's ready? That saves me some extra work, at least!
Bear in mind that, when she's first put on the FTP, she won't have many locators, so Craiggo will need to work on the files* before the ship is game-worthy.

* If he still wants to, that is. ;)

On the topic of other ships I wonder how Iron Roger Flint is coming along with the HMS Prince as I've heard nothing on this ship since SeaNorris announced us getting her.
No idea what's happened so far. I converted the ship so that she can be edited in Maya 5.0, and gave Iron Roger the files, so it's all down to his spare time, I guess...

Sorry, the past couple of weeks have been very busy for me, so I haven't got any further on this ship.
However, I now have two weeks off college for Easter, so will try to get as much done as I can. :dance

No sweat there mate!

Heck I've been keeping busy too!

Your last update suggests she's getting close to launch.

Getting pretty exiting now. :b:

I really SHOULD actually get around to installing the new build 14.

I've been putting it off for WAY too long. :facepalm

I heard there was some post launch fixes so what all do I need to download?

You still don't have the latest Build 14 version? You've been missing out, mate! :shock

The original Beta 2.0 had some issues that were overlooked, so Beta 2.1 fixes most of those. More minor fixes/tweaks are still appearing around the forum, mind.
You can download B14 Beta 2.1 Full (~2GB) either from our 'Downloads' section or the ModDB page. Needless to say, read the instructions carefully. :wp

I'm about ready to make a new POTC install also. The Open Sea mod is highly recommended but some tweaks need to be made in "internalsettings.h" after installation.

I've just finished adding the hull cannons and gunport hatches... feast yer eyes on those broadsides: :dance

CS_Broadside1.jpg CS_Broadside2.jpg

All hatches were added simultaneously with the guns to speed things up (still took ages!), and then UV mapped to match the hull.
The second screenshot differs from the first because the gunports themselves had to be tweaked to use the same texture as the inner hull and hatches.
If you see any slight anomalies, that's just the render quality messing up due to the high quality textures. :urgh

Now, where's my rum? I'm exhausted. :beer

WOW! :woot

She's turning out EVEN NICER than she is on PotBS. :yes

Well Done!

The guns and hatches are awsome.

I never knew the stern detail was so nice, since most of the ornate details tend to vanish in PotBS unless you're zoomed in to the max (and then you can't see what's going on).

I'm starting to think that this change of game is the best thing to ever happen to my flagship. :cheers

Glad you like her, mates. Not long to go, now! :sail

Latest update: I've organised the entire hull into three 'models', which would be exported as separate GM files: Main hull, Cannons/flagpole and Boats.

All components sharing the same textures have now been combined into one component per texture (which is best for the game).
This was an almighty pain in the arse though, because some components claimed to be using a different texture to the one that was showing,
so several mistakes, mishaps and confusions later, it finally worked out correctly. :wacko:

I've now also triangulated all the polygons on the hull, which means we now have a final tri-count for the hull alone at just under 87,000.
This is better than I expected, thankfully. It's the masts that seem to add a lot to that, with the highly complex rigging. I'll let you know when I have a total tri-count.

So basically, the only things I have left to do before GM export are:
  • Cut the mast stumps (for fallen masts)
  • Make the path model
  • Organise and triangulate the masts and yards
As for locators, it looks as though they will need to be done manually after all. I still can't seem to export them from Maya.
This shouldn't be too much of a pain though, since I found a way to import locators into Excel to edit them more efficiently,
so I can still use another ship's locators as a template.

Looks great! :onya
87,000 seems a huge tri count for just the hull :shock: even the revolutionnaire has only about 50,000 for the hull, though I guess this ship is a second rate. It's great to have all of these ships progressing steadily towards launch now. Hopefully craiggo can get the Volage and Rev ready to go, and with the Prince, this ship, the improved Constitution, and hopefully the Centurion and frigate Russia, there could be quite a few new ships in the next build. :))

For a ship of this size and level of detail, 87,000 is not bad. It's roughly the same tri-count as the Victory model.
I think one of the largest tri-counts is the San Felipe 1st Rate at around 130,000 (including the separate cannons file)! :shock

I agree the next patch will be something pretty special with all these exciting new ships on the way!

Well the sooner this ship is ready for export the sooner I can send a couple of variants I have planned for this ship your way.

The two variants I have planned are....

1. <DMTrinity> This version will be a full re-creation of my own ship from Pirates of the burning sea (complete with my personal ingame sails) which I am submitting to you guys for use in the build mod in any way you see fit.

2. <TrueChristianus> I've been studying images of period danish lineship models (most notably the 74-gun Norske Love) and have enough confidence to take a crack at making a more accurate color representation of the actual Christianus Sixtus for the game. Where to put it is anyone's guess as Denmark doesn't exist in the build mod, but I'm sure you guys would find a good spot for her.

Once this ship is exported to gm I'll make and export those variants to my FTP straight away.

Hopefully my variants can make it into your next patch as well.

Back