• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Runtime Error, Engine.exe

As I was experimenting! I could fix it!
I watched the patch installation was trying to rename some files in it's own directory instead of the game directory! strange!
So I guessed it didn't actually extract some files to the game directory! So I first extracted the "b14_beta3_full.7z" to the game directory and then applied "b14_beta3_installer" to the game! It works now!

I think there's some kinda problem with the installer itself which triggers for some users! I could post the renaming bug screenshot if you wanted.

Please do. This needs to be looked into.

I now suspect windoze security is blocking it somehow.

Please do. This needs to be looked into.

I now suspect windoze security is blocking it somehow.
If you mean UAC by windows security, in my case it's completely turned off along with my Antivirus software.
I installed the game for testing purposes again to take screenshots. [It says: PC Version Retail Release 1.0 ]
Then installed the patch [located @ D:\Game Setups\POTC] with the following options:
9359-Reports1.jpg

The destination folder was [C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean test]. And the installation was going good in extracting main archive till around 32%
2611-Reports25.jpg

But it started to look in a location in the patch folder in Drive [D:] for a folder which doesn't exist! And then tries to rename and delete some files for some time.

6416-Reports2.jpg
7418-Reports3.jpg

After that extracts the rest of files and finishes successfully. But Game throws runtime errors.
So I had to extract the base 7z archive manually and apply the 3.4 patch on top of it.
I hope that helps

You didn't have the installer in your game folder did you? But you should have gotten an error if that was the case.

The installer actually extracts the files in the folder where it is located itself and then moves the files to the game folder afterwards.
It's a bit of a strange workaround but it was needed to make the installer extract the ZIP-file. :facepalm

Sounds to me like an permission problem.
Are you on an adminstrator account? Did you try running the installer as administrator?

Update!
My method didn't work at all! I mean after extracting the base archive and then trying to update, game runs fine, but after starting a new game I get a black screen!
F1 and F2 works , but not the game.

You didn't have the installer in your game folder did you? But you should have gotten an error if that was the case.

The installer actually extracts the files in the folder where it is located itself and then moves the files to the game folder afterwards.
It's a bit of a strange workaround but it was needed to make the installer extract the ZIP-file. :facepalm

Nope! If I put it in the game folder it wont let me install!
How strange! It should directly extract and replace to the game folder! But it first extracts to it's own location and then "Renames" and "Deletes" some files in the folder and then "Copies" them to the game folder! WTF?!
Can you give me the nullsoft installer project file to see what can be done?
Also My Readme tells me:
============================
Pirates of the Caribbean
Readme - PC Version Retail Release 1.0

And my ENGINE.exe description reads:
4373-Details.png

Perhaps my game is english not russian! :confused:
I try my best to help to improve the Beta. Should I upload the program folder of original game or after patching it?

Sounds to me like an permission problem.
Are you on an adminstrator account? Did you try running the installer as administrator?
Yes! I'm on the Administrator account of the computer! Plus the fact that I did the same procedure in windows XP with admin rights to no avail :/

Enough people can install it right...are you using the 3.4 installer or the new 3.5
I know for sure 3.4 works on a clean install and I suggest first using that one and the using 3.5 to update.

I know the latest Beta 3.5 installers work too. But on my own European game version.
It could be that there are some other language versions out there where it doesn't work like it should.
But I can test only on my own unmodded game because that's all I've got. :facepalm

Update!
My method didn't work at all! I mean after extracting the base archive and then trying to update, game runs fine, but after starting a new game I get a black screen!
F1 and F2 works , but not the game.
Do you have any error logs to go with that problem?

Nope! If I put it in the game folder it wont let me install!
How strange! It should directly extract and replace to the game folder! But it first extracts to it's own location and then "Renames" and "Deletes" some files in the folder and then "Copies" them to the game folder! WTF?!
That is indeed what it does (but I wished it didn't have to. :modding )

Can you give me the nullsoft installer project file to see what can be done?
I uploaded them a while back here, hoping someone could figure out a better method of handling the 7-Zip archive:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/build/potc_installer_files.7z
So if you have any clever ideas, I'd definitely welcome them! :cheers

See also this thread where we've been discussing the installation process: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/improve-installer.21327/

Perhaps my game is english not russian! :confused:
I try my best to help to improve the Beta. Should I upload the program folder of original game or after patching it?
The game EXE might indicate being Russian no matter what, because it was made in Russia.
In this case, please upload your PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI after installing the Beta 3.4 installer/
Then I can do a WinMerge with my own game and see what differences there still are.
After that, I can upload the correct versions of the files and hopefully get it to work properly.

Enough people can install it right...are you using the 3.4 installer or the new 3.5
I know for sure 3.4 works on a clean install and I suggest first using that one and the using 3.5 to update.

Yeah, I wonder why this doesn't work for me and works for everyone. I'm a computer pro, when something doesn't work and I can't fix it I wanna :modding
I fix many computers and softwares for many people everyday, and I can't fix my own game :mad:
I used both to no avail! And tried different scenarios!
Original game > 14 main + 3.4 patch
Original game > 14 main + 3.5 patch
Original game > 14 main + 3.4 patch > 3.5 patch (as update)
Original game > extract 14 main manually > 3.4 patch
None of them work :shock

Do you have any error logs to go with that problem?

Yeah, the manual extraction of 7z archive made the game work somehow, meaning that installer has some kinda extraction problem. But New game shows only a black screen. And game makes a lot of complicated logs :D I don't think that's worth of investigating because i think it's because of missing textures (bad installation).
In this case game made all 3 logs!
compile.log
error.log
system.log

I know the latest Beta 3.5 installers work too. But on my own European game version.
It could be that there are some other language versions out there where it doesn't work like it should.
But I can test only on my own unmodded game because that's all I've got. :facepalm

I tested both installing 3.5 on the original game and also installing 3.5 as an update to 3.4. but both methods make the same error logs.
==========
error.log >
COMPILE ERROR - file: Leveling.c; line: 9
define redefinition: SKILLS_UP_BONUS
==========
system.log >
Scanning modules\
Loading modules...
Loaded 0
Reset...
Initializing CORE...
Creating atoms space: 128
done
initializing complete
User Rised Exception
C:\PROJECTS\DRIVE_V2\ENGINE\SOURCES\Core.cpp line 526
fail to create program
==========

I uploaded them a while back here, hoping someone could figure out a better method of handling the 7-Zip archive:
http://www.piratesahoy.net/build/potc_installer_files.7z
So if you have any clever ideas, I'd definitely welcome them! :cheers
See also this thread where we've been discussing the installation process: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/improve-installer.21327/
Great! I try my best! At least I die trying :D better than sitting and doing nothing about this great project!

The game EXE might indicate being Russian no matter what, because it was made in Russia.
In this case, please upload your PROGRAM and RESOURCE\INI after installing the Beta 3.4 installer/
Then I can do a WinMerge with my own game and see what differences there still are.
After that, I can upload the correct versions of the files and hopefully get it to work properly.
Ok, I upload them tonight.

Thanks to all of you for your time and effort
I'm really grateful

Attachments

• compile.log
    5.5 KB · Views: 318
  • error.log
    8.1 KB · Views: 351
  • system.log
    6.9 KB · Views: 340
Update!
I noticed 2 strange things!
Compile log and also Game main screen show "Build 14 Beta 3.3: 19 Jan 2015" !!
I installed Beta 3.4 but logs and main screen show Beta 3.3 !! Is it normal?

And a question!
Is your original exe signatures like mine? please check that. tnx
Also how do you know which edition the game is? You sure game has different editions?
Mine doesn't indicate anything regarding European or Asian :D

Last edited:
Yeah, the manual extraction of 7z archive made the game work somehow, meaning that installer has some kinda extraction problem. But New game shows only a black screen. And game makes a lot of complicated logs :D I don't think that's worth of investigating because i think it's because of missing textures (bad installation).
In this case game made all 3 logs!
compile.log
error.log
system.log
Some definitely strange errors there. There are references to stock game code, which shouldn't be happening.

I tested both installing 3.5 on the original game and also installing 3.5 as an update to 3.4. but both methods make the same error logs.
==========
error.log >
COMPILE ERROR - file: Leveling.c; line: 9
define redefinition: SKILLS_UP_BONUS
You need the ZIP-archive attached to this post too: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-5-internal-wip-for-testing.24817/
There is an error in the main upload which is corrected in there.

Update!
I noticed 2 strange things!
Compile log and also Game main screen show "Build 14 Beta 3.3: 19 Jan 2015" !!
I installed Beta 3.4 but logs and main screen show Beta 3.3 !! Is it normal?
It is indeed normal because when I made the Beta 3.4 upload, I forgot to update the version number.
That is fixed with the ZIP attached here though: http://www.piratesahoy.net/threads/build-14-beta-3-4-release.24486/

And a question!
Is your original exe signatures like mine? please check that. tnx
Also how do you know which edition the game is? You sure game has different editions?
Mine doesn't indicate anything regarding European or Asian :D
The ENGINE.exe details don't really matter much, because the modpack overwrites it with its own version anyway.

There are definitely several different versions of the game. Even the European English and American English ones are different.
And there are Russian, French, Spanish and German game versions too which also aren't identical.

Thanks for the explanation and guiding me through the right threads! So As far as I know I have the American Edition of the game!
And Hooray! I made the patch work!!
I can now play the game after 8 years!! I'm so excited!

It's still very very strange!! I couldn't find the reason for the errors! It's not logical!!
Here's what I've done:
Just changed the installation directory of the game and patched it! It worked! [Installed it to C:\Potc\]

At first I thought it must be a permission problem, so using "icacls" I extracted the permissions. They're the same!!

Security permissions of [C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean]
D:AI(A;ID;FA;;;BA)(A;OICIIOID;GA;;;BA)(A;ID;FA;;;SY)(A;OICIIOID;GA;;;SY)(A;OICIID;0x1200a9;;;BU)(A;ID;0x1301bf;;;AU)(A;OICIIOID;SDGXGWGR;;;AU)

Security permissions of [C:\Potc]
D:AI(A;ID;FA;;;BA)(A;OICIIOID;GA;;;BA)(A;ID;FA;;;SY)(A;OICIIOID;GA;;;SY)(A;OICIID;0x1200a9;;;BU)(A;ID;0x1301bf;;;AU)(A;OICIIOID;SDGXGWGR;;;AU)

So there's no logical reason why the setup can NOT patch in [C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean] and CAN patch correctly in [C:\Potc]

The only thing I can suggest to help out is:
If anyone said that the game gives runtime error after patching, tell hem to install it in the root directory, and it hopefully works :D
In my case:
The patch didn't work in [C:\Program Files\Pirates of the Caribbean]
The patch didn't work in [C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean]
The patch worked in [C:\Potc]

I feel like a fool right now :modding

Very odd; I've been using C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean often enough.

Sounds like it is AGAIN Windows Security Stupidity. I really hate that.

But you got it running! :cheers

:pirates Yeah! Thanks!

Very odd; I've been using C:\Games\Pirates of the Caribbean often enough.

Sounds like it is AGAIN Windows Security Stupidity. I really hate that.

None of my windows security measures are On! I turned them all off! And I don't have any problems any games or softwares or their corresponding patches!
This was really strange and new to me! No reason or logic explains it!
And why windows should block c:\games !!! Plus the fact that setup could write to that directory, only some files didn't get updated! :facepalm

None of my windows security measures are On! I turned them all off! And I don't have any problems any games or softwares or their corresponding patches!
This was really strange and new to me! No reason or logic explains it!
And why windows should block c:\games !!! Plus the fact that setup could write to that directory, only some files didn't get updated! :facepalm
Hey, I don't call it "Windows Security Stupidity" for nothing. ;)
I've never been able to make any sense of it whatsoever; normally it affects Program Files, but you never can be certain.
Weird stuff happens. :facepalm

Do you have steam?

Steam also installs games in C:\Games right?
Could it be steam is keeping an eye on the folder?

Hey, I don't call it "Windows Security Stupidity" for nothing. ;)
I've never been able to make any sense of it whatsoever; normally it affects Program Files, but you never can be certain.
Weird stuff happens. :facepalm

Microsoft isn't even aware of such a feature in their systems! We should release a documentin for WSS

Do you have steam?

Steam also installs games in C:\Games right?
Could it be steam is keeping an eye on the folder?

No I hate Steam! And I don't have it .
That directory has full permissions (read/write/execute) ! And the setup could write freely to it! But setup only copied some of files. It means it was installer's problem!
As you can see other users had my problem too, but they solved it by trying many times...
Something goes wrong randomly in the patch installation which needs to be looked into.
And I checked my C:\Games for any programs that may have locked it. Nothing at all!
2452-unlocker.png

I guess we need to look into a new version of the installer software.
Do you have any experience with those kind of software?
Me and @Pieter Boelen are still to much occupied at getting the game right. It would be nice if someone else could figure out a better way to make the installer.

Back