• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Interface Textures

New pennants. I hope this is better.
1) But something has been messed up. See the attached file. Styles I would say.
2) I want the 3 portraits of Pyle just as they were before wip16. (Different zooming)
Here's your fix, including Pyle's old portraits. Haven't seen, that face_544 was already taken in the 64 pixel-version, sorry.
Styles' new portrait is face_547 (definitely free), so his faceID needs to be changed in initModels.c.

Thanks a lot Cassadar. :onya
Not all face numbers are used in 124/256 but in the 64 folder.

New pennants. I hope this is better.
Indeed that does look quite a bit better!
I do wonder what to do with some of the nation-specific personal flags. Should they have the same pennants as their regular nation flags?
This would apply to the following flags:
- Amsterdam regular and Skull & Crossbones version
- All British naval ensigns, including Hornblower and Jack Aubrey versions

I reckon the British ensigns should have their normal British pennants. This would be the two right flags on perpnt3.tga.tx , as well as the Hornblower/Aubrey ones.
The ones you made seem a bit on the Scandinavian side.... :wp

Edit: And what about the "Don't tread on me" one? That is a specific American one.

The ones you made seem a bit on the Scandinavian side.... :wp
... *looks at them* ... ...
... Indeed.

I've just changed the british pennants and the american one, but I'm not sure about that two Amsterdam flags. Could look quite odd for some people, when they've chosen one of them and then see a flag with wrong colours on their ship. They would probably think it's a bug.

Ok I found that many of my pir_caps portraits have been changed to portraits that do not
fit. Look Cassadar I spent a lot of time to get all that suff to look good so please reset all of my characters.
Also Pyle's.

The old idea was that different picture size could show more or less of the character:
64: the head
124: a little more
256: even more
This makes more sense to me rather than have the same picture and zoom it up/down.

Good, but I think I'll reset all portraits, not just yours; less trouble.
Fine with me but why not keep the new Hornblower, Styles etc?
I think those are an improvement!:onya

... ...
Ah, I wrote gibberish again. Sorry for that. Had one of my headaches yesterday, they are extremely painful and exhausting and I'm still not able to speak properly and have difficulties to read and write, because the whole head feels numb. This will be gone after some hours (or tomorrow, it's always a bit different).

What I really wanted to say: I'll remake them all, so the new 128 and 64 pixel ones have all the sizes you like better. If I try to get all your own characters out of the game files, I'll make mistakes again (reading issues) and I don't want to wait either, because this bugs me now.
And besides, it really looks better that way. :yes

Give me a few hours, please.

Ouch, sorry to hear you're not feeling so well. I do hope it improves soon! :onya

BTW: If you are redoing the smaller size portraits, I wouldn't mind seeing the old "four corner" borders again some time. I got rather used to those over the years....
Only if you care to do so. Anything you come up with will be much appreciated! :doff

BTW: If you are redoing the smaller size portraits, I wouldn't mind seeing the old "four corner" borders again some time. I got rather used to those over the years....
Good to know, will do that. Should be easier as well, there are quite some smaller portraits with that border in my 2.5 backup, which don't look that bad. And some of them should be Jack Rackham's, so I will definitely not overwrite them.
Sounds good to me.

... Reminds me of... This is what the small flags currently look like:
smallflags.png

A bit too dark in my opinion, I can't really imagine, that this will look good ingame. And for some reason I'm sure, that there's some error with the flags, but I don't know what it is.
Will edit them later.

A bit too dark in my opinion, I can't really imagine, that this will look good ingame. And for some reason I'm sure, that there's some error with the flags, but I don't know what it is.
Will edit them later.
They look pretty perfect to me. Perhaps they could do with being a bit brighter; the old ones certainly were.
But perhaps them NOT being too bright is a good thing too; does help with making the game seem less cartooney.
I wouldn't mind seeing how it works in the game.

I compared those ones to the fort flags and they all seem to match. Good thinking to use those instead of the merchant or navy flags.
The merchant ones can be a bit unrecognisable at times and the navy flags are too detailed to be scaled down.

For some reason, it is that Jack Sparrow pirate flag that is really in use for the ships in your own fleet though.
So that one should be the "PA skull" one. And I wonder if we can put the American flags in the "PA skull's" current place.
Then we could have both guest nations grouped together. Would need some code adjustments somewhere, but I think I can figure that out.

Here are some examples of what it looks like in the game. Any comments, anyone?
SmallNations.jpg
It is definitely less bright. Is that a problem? I think it looks OK with the "neutral white" background,
but I'm not sure it contrasts well with the green and red glow effects. Perhaps those glow colours should be toned down as well?

I'm not sure if that "PA skull" is very clear on this small size. I know what it is, but people who don't know what it is might not recognize it.

They look pretty good to me. Maybe being a tad brighter or having a bit more contrast would make them that bit clearer.

As I said before, too dark.
Anyway, part one of the portraits: click. One changed 256 portrait, all 128 pixel versions and some 64 ones. The latter are not complete yet, because it feels like there are two million different frames; again. There's also an edited initModels.c inside, because I changed the faceIDs for the newer Hornblower characters, that napoleonic soldier and Tia Dalma to prevent any other issues.
The FaceIDs 90 and 111 were definitely free, but... I expect everything now.

As I said before, too dark.
I'm pretty sure making those glow effects less bright would help too.
Perhaps a combination?

Anyway, part one of the portraits: click. One changed 256 portrait, all 128 pixel versions and some 64 ones. The rest of the latter is not complete yet, because it feels like there are two million different frames; again. There's also an edited initModels.c inside, because I changed the faceIDs for the newer Hornblower characters, that napoleonic soldier and Tia Dalma to prevent any other issues.
Brilliant, thanks! Do the new models have new numbers again? If so, are there any files that need removing now?

I'm pretty sure making those glow effects less bright would help too.
Perhaps a combination?
I'll see what I can do after that doctor's appointment tomorrow. :doff
*looks at the clock* Erm... or in six hours. *cough*

Brilliant, thanks! Do the new models have new numbers again? If so, are there any files that need removing now?
You can delete these portraits in the 256 and 128 folders: 90, 111, 541 - 547.

The new ones:
Wolfe: face_560.tga | Captain Harvey: face_561.tga | Lady Barbara: face_562.tga
Styles: face_563.tga | Napoleonic soldier: face_564.tga | Tia Dalma: face_565.tga

Already in initModels and it should be correct, but better check this.

I'll see what I can do after that doctor's appointment tomorrow. :doff
*looks at the clock* Erm... or in six hours. *cough*
While I very much appreciate all that you are doing for us, I wouldn't mind you staying alive and healthy as well.
And perhaps happy too. So don't forget that, will you, please? :wp

Back