• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Worldmap

Well, moving the islands didn't take long. Here's how I've now arranged the islands (not necessarily final positions):
WorldMap_new4.jpg
What do you think? The islands are more-or-less where they should be in the real Caribbean, though obviously not all the real islands are included.
As a reminder, I moved the islands around but didn't rotate or resize any of them, for simplicity's sake. The blue square represents the active area of the World Map, beyond which is inaccessible space.
I used a plain blue texture for this render because the actual sea texture includes white outlines of most of the islands, representing foam on the shorelines, which are now incorrect.

One cool trick from rendering the map top-down like this is that, if I remove the blue square, I can generate an alpha-mapped image of the islands' exact positions, making it much easier to update the Archipelago Map. :cheeky

wow awesome o_O cant imagien to visit some old aztec temple or any cursed area :p future seems promising

what about cozumel (or some fantasy island like isla muerte) in center ? (where there must not be "real" islands)

or some areas like "petit tabac" because it improves roleplay to meet some "non island" areas, just for naval battles

Now THAT is AWESOME! Both of it is!

I wonder what this is going to do for gameplay though. Some random thoughs:

- There are no towns/islands in the lower left corner of the worldmap for quite some distance between Cartagena and Jamaica/Cayman.
Idea: Perhaps move Cayman further South so there isn't so much nothingness there?
Putting the CoAS Aztec temple on a shore there might help too, though of course there's little point having that location there without being used.

Were you able to take ALL the town/island locations from the CoAS worldmap?
That would allow us to some day complete the mainland and would go a long way to filling that area with some more interesting stuff one day.

- Turks seems rather close to Tortuga. Technically should be quite further up. What happens if you move it to the North edge of the map?

- Eleuthera should of course be much further away, but the worldmap isn't large enough for that, of course.
What would happen if you put it in the upper left corner?

- Is Saint Martin missing? I see Puerto Rico, Nevis and Antigua.

- Small versions of Petit Tabac and Isla Mona are BRILLIANT!

- I do see Agentad's point of there being a big load of nothing in the middle of the worldmap.
Though of course in the real Caribbean, there IS nothing there. We can put Isla de Muerte there.
That wouldn't exist until you find it anyway. And I like keeping Cozumel where it belongs. :wp

For Isla de Muerte, would it be possible to make a small "Skull and Crossbones" model that we could put on the worldmap instead of the palm trees method?

With the Caribbean becoming closer to the real one, you'll probably find yourself hanging around the island belts more than in the open sea in the middle.
So too much open sea might be less of a problem because you simply won't be there.

- Would it be possible to make some vaguely historical-looking arrow-models? Since we can add palm trees as islands on the map anyway,
we could do the same with arrows. So then we could have an arrow pointing all the way to the North-East stating "London", for example.
Or one to the South-East stating "Singapore". And then when you reload there, you just get a lot of days/months worth of sailing time added.
That would offer us the freedom of adding non-Caribbean locations without technically leaving the Caribbean.

- There are no towns/islands in the lower left corner of the worldmap for quite some distance between Cartagena and Jamaica/Cayman.
Idea: Perhaps move Cayman further South so there isn't so much nothingness there?
Putting the CoAS Aztec temple on a shore there might help too, though of course there's little point having that location there without being used.
Couldn't we just use more CoAS mainland locations? It would be nice to keep the islands in pretty accurate positions if we can.

Were you able to take ALL the town/island locations from the CoAS worldmap?
That would allow us to some day complete the mainland and would go a long way to filling that area with some more interesting stuff one day.
Unfortunately I couldn't get ANY of the CoAS world map islands; just the southern mainland parts and all the little town/shore models.
We would have to do the same as with the added PotC islands, and use parts of existing ones to create any new islands.

- Turks seems rather close to Tortuga. Technically should be quite further up. What happens if you move it to the North edge of the map?

- Eleuthera should of course be much further away, but the worldmap isn't large enough for that, of course.
What would happen if you put it in the upper left corner?
I could move both of these islands further north, but having either one in a corner might look even more odd.

- Is Saint Martin missing? I see Puerto Rico, Nevis and Antigua.
LOL, good point. It turns out I moved Barbados to Saint Martin's current position, which covered it up, so I forgot to move Saint Martin. xD
I've fixed that now and updated the image above.

- I do see Agentad's point of there being a big load of nothing in the middle of the worldmap.
Though of course in the real Caribbean, there IS nothing there. We can put Isla de Muerte there.
That wouldn't exist until you find it anyway. And I like keeping Cozumel where it belongs. :wp
Sounds like a good idea putting Isla de Muerte there. After all, its exact position is never revealed in the films, is it? Who says it's not in the middle of the Caribbean? :cheeky

For Isla de Muerte, would it be possible to make a small "Skull and Crossbones" model that we could put on the worldmap instead of the palm trees method?
Better still would be a small model of a cursed Aztec coin from the first film, no? That could be arranged.

- Would it be possible to make some vaguely historical-looking arrow-models? Since we can add palm trees as islands on the map anyway,
we could do the same with arrows. So then we could have an arrow pointing all the way to the North-East stating "London", for example.
Or one to the South-East stating "Singapore". And then when you reload there, you just get a lot of days/months worth of sailing time added.
That would offer us the freedom of adding non-Caribbean locations without technically leaving the Caribbean.

I could probably do that, yes. We'd need separate arrows to point in each direction, though, unless they can be rotated via code.

:bow:thumbs1:bow

That is amazing. It will be truly awesome if we can end up direct sailing along that eastern coastline of Central America. :yes

Question: If the Blue Area is the extent of the actual map - then if it could be moved down slightly - would it theoretically be possible to sail up the Western coast of Central America from Panama to one of the Bays shown. ( Sorry if I am being GREEDY)

In COAS you can't sail on the Western Coast ( only go there overland )

This is a superb achievement.

:cheers

Couldn't we just use more CoAS mainland locations? It would be nice to keep the islands in pretty accurate positions if we can.
Unfortunately I couldn't get ANY of the CoAS world map islands; just the southern mainland parts and all the little town/shore models.
Sorry, that's what I meant. I don't care about the CoAS islands, just the mainland.

Sounds like a good idea putting Isla de Muerte there. After all, its exact position is never revealed in the films, is it? Who says it's not in the middle of the Caribbean? :cheeky
Perfectly true. And since it IS the middle on nowhere, that makes it a good place to hide stuff. It'd be easy to miss there, after all!

Better still would be a small model of a cursed Aztec coin from the first film, no? That could be arranged.
Also fine by me. You get the idea. :doff

I could probably do that, yes. We'd need separate arrows to point in each direction, though, unless they can be rotated via code.
I don't think they can be rotated. A set of them was indeed what I had been thinking of. :yes

Question: If the Blue Area is the extent of the actual map - then if it could be moved down slightly - would it theoretically be possible to sail up the Western coast of Central America from Panama to one of the Bays shown. ( Sorry if I am being GREEDY)

I guess that would be possible, yes. You would of course have to walk from one side to the other each time you want to switch between East and West coast travel.
Not quite sure how one would transport their ship across land like that, mind. :p

Sorry, that's what I meant. I don't care about the CoAS islands, just the mainland.

Ah, well I did manage to recreate the missing part of the mainland as I said, so we could definitely fill the entire thing with locations eventually. :onya
I probably should tweak the added part to make it slightly more faithful to the original missing part.

I guess that would be possible, yes. You would of course have to walk from one side to the other each time you want to switch between East and West coast travel.
Not quite sure how one would transport their ship across land like that, mind. :p
The CODE can do it easily. Main question is: How would the CHARACTER do it??
Would be fun to put a hidden island on the other side or something. Possibilities aplenty!

Ah, well I did manage to recreate the missing part of the mainland as I said, so we could definitely fill the entire thing with locations eventually. :onya
I had originally meant if you still have the mainland coordinates so that it wouldn't be too hard to add the remainder in the future.

:yes

Just buy a ship in the shipyard at Panama -Or there might be a small pirate settlement in one of the bays with a shipyard.

Probably have to sell your current ships ( or put them into storage ) at Portobello or one of the East Coast ports first though. :dance

:drunk

I had originally meant if you still have the mainland coordinates so that it wouldn't be too hard to add the remainder in the future.

ALL the coordinates for the CoAS world map islands, towns, shores etc are in the islands.gm file as locators, which I can read via TOOL, so that's no problem.
It's only the geometry that didn't agree with TOOL, as usual.

about isla muerte, after showing again all the POTC films, there is no real location shown (they always mention teh compass only), so best is where the sea is too big to find easily an island => center

about "switching" a ship from a coast to another, the only "glitch" coming in my mind is the fast travel :D (it can be interesting to use it for main land at south and west to travel easily sometime (when too much bored or for non-important quests) x)

damn the map remind me the game "corsair - gold" most awesome sea game of my young years :p

If we really DO end up putting you on the other side (to what point and purpose?), then we could put a character on the shore on the other side who allows you to transport your ship across.
Or give you a new one there. Or something. The possibilities are there.

but well, switch main land side could be nice but need to move all the islands and land upper-right more (to use the "blank" (or "blue" :D ) up-right corner "unused sea" if you see what i mean)

if its possible of course ^^ (because everything seems already well made !)

Only reasons I could think of for switching oceans:
1. There's a "secret" island in the Pacific
2. That's the route to Singapore/Tahiti or something (using arrow-based distance skipping)

singapore, damn the best scene of POTC 3 !!!!!!!!!!! i sometime just look the film for that :) and tehre is already asian looking models and the sao feng junk :p

really much interesting ideas :onya

And I had the idea of flooding the Isla Muelle town model for that! See attached for an early experiment I once did.
We just need some different textures; could try English. And then we're done.
But all Asians would look the same. Need more variety. :facepalm

Edit: Maybe Shipwreck Cove could be in the Pacific. Close to the Caribbean, but still hard to get to.
Makes it safer for pirates, no?

Attachments

• Experiment_IM_Flooded.jpg
    Experiment_IM_Flooded.jpg
    624 KB · Views: 129
Edit: Maybe Shipwreck Cove could be in the Pacific. Close to the Caribbean, but still hard to get to.
Makes it safer for pirates, no?

Ah, but the PotC Wiki says Shipwreck Cove is in the Caribbean Sea: http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Shipwreck_Cove

Speaking of which, if we do ever get round to adding a Shipwreck Cove location, I can re-purpose the CoAS world map's small shipwreck model to use as a marker on the PotC map.

BTW, what does the City of Abandoned Ships location look like in 3D sailing mode? I know we've always said that would be the best substitute for Shipwreck Cove.

Back