• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Solved Updating the Worldmap

Ah, but the PotC Wiki says Shipwreck Cove is in the Caribbean Sea: http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Shipwreck_Cove
Oh, right. But we don't have to care about that, do we?
It's not specified in the films in any case. And the travels in At World's End are quite iffy to begin with.

Speaking of which, if we do ever get round to adding a Shipwreck Cove location, I can re-purpose the CoAS world map's small shipwreck model to use as a marker on the PotC map.
Cool! Indeed I don't think adding new locations is going to be the main challenge; but DOING something with them will be!
Well, who knows...? Maybe once we get the Build 14 code stabled up, I could get to do some quest-writing of my own. I always did want to expand the Jack Sparrow story!
And I've done a lot of thinking on how to do things too. Oh! One thing we'll need too is the island of Pelegostos near to Tortuga: http://pirates.wikia.com/wiki/Isla_de_Pelegostos

BTW, what does the City of Abandoned Ships location look like in 3D sailing mode? I know we've always said that would be the best substitute for Shipwreck Cove.
Do you want an in-game screen-shot or will GM Viewer do?

Oh, right. But we don't have to care about that, do we?
It's not specified in the films in any case. And the travels in At World's End are quite iffy to begin with.
We don't have to care, true. But I think it would be easier to place Shipwreck Cove in the Caribbean, especially since there really isn't much room in the bottom left corner of the map.

Well, who knows...? Maybe once we get the Build 14 code stabled up, I could get to do some quest-writing of my own. I always did want to expand the Jack Sparrow story!
You writing quests? How will you ever find the time? o_O

Do you want an in-game screen-shot or will GM Viewer do?

Whichever is more convenient. ;)

You writing quests? How will you ever find the time? o_O
Beats me. It is what I would LIKE to do though. At least that is something I generally know how to do and gives some playable results.
Now I'm just cleaning up the mess for the most part. :facepalm

Whichever is more convenient. ;)
GM Viewer it is:
CityAbandonedShips.jpg

Ooh, interesting!
Now, imagine combining that location (just the centre of it, without the ring of ships or rocks) with the Cozumel island model... Wouldn't that be an awesome Shipwreck Cove? ;)

Back to the World Map, I'm currently improving the shape of the jury-rigged mainland section, and then I'll move everything further north to add more playable space in the bottom right corner.
Then, unless anyone has any further suggestions, I guess it would be time to export it and test it out in-game...

Ooh, interesting!
Now, imagine combining that location (just the centre of it, without the ring of ships or rocks) with the Cozumel island model... Wouldn't that be an awesome Shipwreck Cove? ;)
OOooohhh, yes it WOULD be! I like your thinking! :cheers

Back to the World Map, I'm currently improving the shape of the jury-rigged mainland section, and then I'll move everything further north to add more playable space in the bottom right corner.
Then, unless anyone has any further suggestions, I guess it would be time to export it and test it out in-game...
Exciting times! :dance

Ooh, interesting!

just awesome :8q

arrrr ! :aar

I'm wondering... could we move this thread to the PotC Build Mod forum where everybody can see it?
Perhaps we can get some interest and perhaps even convince some people to help out with the more basic coding that will need to be done for this at some point.

wow! Great thing, a real Carribbean would be very very nice :yes
If that works, would it be possible to enlarge the map (in the future)? It would be nice if you could "jump" into other regions of the world when you reach the end of our actual map :) But that is music from the future I guess^^
If we want a real carribbean I think enlarging the map is required. And as Pieter said, it would take time to fill up the new islands with all the things. But copy+paste would do it i think?. I have time during august-september, if it isnt too difficult with coding, I could help ;)

Enlarging the map doesn't seem to be working. And the same goes for adding different regions.
We DID think of adding some islands that look like arrows that teleport you to, say, Singapore or London or Tahiti or something.
I'm not a fan of too much copy-pasting; the new location need to add something to the game, rather than just being "more of the same".

Enlarging the map doesn't seem to be working. And the same goes for adding different regions.
We DID think of adding some islands that look like arrows that teleport you to, say, Singapore or London or Tahiti or something.
hm, but someone did make it? Or is this worldmap of the same size like the old one Oo?
I'm not a fan of too much copy-pasting; the new location need to add something to the game, rather than just being "more of the same".
Ok, but I think if we add many new ports, we would just need too much time to create for every new city an unique look?
Don't know how much you want to expand?__Port_Royale___map_by_TyrenZin.jpgmaybe like this? In another scale of course ;) That would be 9 new ports!

hm, but someone did make it? Or is this worldmap of the same size like the old one Oo?
The new map will be the same size as the current one, unless we can find a way to adjust the scale or enlarge the playable area.

well some cities like singapoor can be in top right corner (where there is no use of the area) if we really want to add some "special cities"

Ok, but I think if we add many new ports, we would just need too much time to create for every new city an unique look?
That's why we don't want to add too many new ports. Because even the ones we added so far are STILL not fully finished.
And that is after many, MANY years. So all we'll add is stuff that is unique and has some current or future storyline purpose.

well, I dont know but I would like many ports, even if they arent that unique (we could still combine different locations?). With many ports, even sidequests like delivering cargo stays interesting because of the many trade routes. But you got a point, if a port is never used in ANY storyline it would be a bit needless.

My point is that adding new ports is easy-peasy; we could add near endless amounts. But they have to be put to good USE.
Preferably with the storylines and sidequests and the like. And that takes a long, long time.

Sorry for the lack of updates (it's been too hot to work, lately), but I think I've finally got the map arranged how we want it.
As well as moving everything further north to allow more space in the south-west corner, I completely revamped the northern part of the mainland by 'tracing' the texture used by the real CoAS model, to get an exact replica of it.
Once I'd traced the outline and applied the texture, I sculpted the changes in height where the mountains and hills are, which creates a very convincing result.

So here's how the map is looking now:
WorldMap_new5.jpg
Apart from the above changes, I also moved Turks a bit further to the north-east, so it isn't too close to Tortuga.
What do you think? Any more suggestions before we start testing this in-game?

incredible awesome! Really, really great work! :)
Is it possible to place cities on the mainland?

EDIT: Want to try it! Want to try it! I guess it won't be possible without a new game?

Back