• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released USS Constitution upgrade

Just make the stern use "Wood_Grain_Black" instead of "_Blue", probably. However, if you want to use the same "shade" of black as the hull, you might need to use a different texture.
Ideally we'd rename those textures to use a specific name length, but that would cause chaos with other models using them.

BTW, there's a slight UV mismatch with the FR texture:
FR_Const_error.jpg

Do you think we should scrap the second red stripe instead of adjusting the UVs?

I think that the second stripe is a refreshing change from the other textures in the game. Every Napoleonic or Revolutionary War texture that I can recall is just the standard stripe on the gunports. Then again, I have no idea how long fixing the UV's would take.

Edit: The gold around the gunports looks a little odd. I've never seen anything like that before.

Although the screenshot doesn't show it so well, all the channels and gunport hatches are also affected by the extra red stripe.
The gold around the gunports is another feature exclusive to this texture. It isn't noticeable with the US and RN versions because the gunports are the same colour as the hull stripe.
Both of these are issues inherited from the original model, and would have gone unnoticed when using the US texture in Maya. It would require a lot of work rearranging the UVs to fix this.

However, I do agree the extra stripe looks nice and offers some variety over the 'standard' red-stripe textures.
Whether we keep the stripe or not depends on how much extra work Captain Armstrong is willing to do (since I'm strictly disallowing myself from taking up extra work :wp ).

Well, I renamed the spanker and then tested the ship to destruction and found no problems. This is a surprise because I could not rename the stuff internally without corrupting it. Renaming yards usually causes problems.
Rather than patch it I created a V2.1.

I will start on the bowsprit tomorrow while you guys sort out the hull.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tpyyfcivy/kp-eKg1B5r/POTC screenies/Connie-23.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gpalg0tp... ships/after beta2.2/USS_Constitution V2.1.7z

Just make the stern use "Wood_Grain_Black" instead of "_Blue", probably. However, if you want to use the same "shade" of black as the hull, you might need to use a different texture.
Ideally we'd rename those textures to use a specific name length, but that would cause chaos with other models using them.

BTW, there's a slight UV mismatch with the FR texture:
FR_Const_error.jpg

Do you think we should scrap the second red stripe instead of adjusting the UVs? It was meant to be for the Acheron anyway, which this model doesn't truly resemble.
Besides, this texture has always been a bloody nuisance, so it's not your fault. :rolleyes:

(Or do we want an accurate Acheron derived from the new Constitution as well? :p)
aghhh, I didn't know that the french texture was laid out differently:facepalmits not like it truly resembled the acheron before, the decorations on the constitution are completely different from those used on the acheron. in fact, I would say that these are closer to the movie acheron than the real constitution. maybe it would be best to just remove that stripe? i'll see what I can do with it first though.
so If I export it with black we can still use the blue for the US version, correct?

EDIT: looks great Hylie! thanks!:)

so If I export it with black we can still use the blue for the US version, correct?
Only if you export two versions; one using "_blue" and one using "_black".
Alternatively, you could add a blue wood section to the "CONSTITUT_UN" texture somewhere, and assign the UVs to use that instead.
That would make it easy to modify the other hull textures so that those UVs are assigned to black wood where applicable. It would also remove the need for the separate wood grain textures.
The hull texture is pretty crowded, but there should be space to add the blue wood. Perhaps in the disused area under the hull UVs?

EDIT: On another note, should all three textures use copper plating for the underwater hull?
Currently only the RN texture has what can pass off as copper plating, but the US and FR versions have a sort of reddish 'blur' and brown planking respectively.

Only if you export two versions; one using "_blue" and one using "_black".
Alternatively, you could add a blue wood section to the "CONSTITUT_UN" texture somewhere, and assign the UVs to use that instead.
That would make it easy to modify the other hull textures so that those UVs are assigned to black wood where applicable. It would also remove the need for the separate wood grain textures.
The hull texture is pretty crowded, but there should be space to add the blue wood. Perhaps in the disused area under the hull UVs?
ugghh, thats a pain, but modifying the exsisting constitution texture might be the best option. under the inner hull uvs is really the only spot left. Holy hell the french hull texture is a mess. I'm going to try to fix the worst of itm but It might beneccessary to change it to the same layout as the others.

so maya has decided to crash every time I touch the hull UVs, even after the restart. it also wont allow me to break the hull back into components. this is how far I got:
22.JPG

methinks we will have to remove the extra red part and give the french textre the same layout as the others

under the inner hull uvs is really the only spot left.
I wouldn't recommend using that space, as it's used for the unique Constitution's nameplate.
However, there is space left on the lower half of the underwater hull (only the top half is used; look at the UVs in Maya).

It's a pity Maya is crashing on you. I remember it being VERY slow when I made the changes to the original model ages ago, to add the nameplate UVs and clean up some others.
I think you might be right though; removing the extra stripe is probably best for now. It's not worth the torture of messing with all those UVs.

Are you able to select the gold gunport areas and assign the UVs to the red stripe? As Post Captain said, that looks weird and is more of a priority to fix.

ok about the nameplate and the UVs, makes sense. I wish I could get it to work with both stripes, it could look pretty cool. I'll try again but I doubt it will work.
Are you able to select the gold gunport areas and assign the UVs to the red stripe? As Post Captain said, that looks weird and is more of a priority to fix.
that is actually what I was trying to do when it kept crashing, though I did manage to fix the gold steps before it stopped working. Ill try again, because the gold gunport frames do look pretty terrible.

Brilliant! That looks much better! I'm glad you could get it to work. :onya

great! so I am considering just dropping the blue altogether, though it does make for some variety, any thoughts/ suggestions before I export?

Are you not able to add the blue to the US texture? Where have you currently mapped the UVs for that section?

I think it's certainly worth it for the variety, similarly to the second red stripe on the French version. :onya

well the textures just need to be hex edited for the french version, it has american textures now. the texture i attached is for the american version, and can replace the current texture of that name.

Back