• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Released USS Constitution upgrade

Nice work, she looks great! :onya

There was just one tiny issue I could find... the lowest part of all the gunports looks black on the US and RN versions, but fine on the FR version.
This must be to do with your UVs fitting the thick red stripe that covers the gunports, but the white and ochre stripes are slightly thinner and don't fully match the UVs.
We could fix that by making the stripes just as thick as the red one, or you could adjust the UVs to fit the thinner stripes. Your call.

Great! She seems pretty ship-shape and free of UV errors now. :cheers

So, what do we reckon about the copper plating I mentioned a few posts ago? Should all three textures have it, in appropriate colours?
Also, we have a choice of red or yellow gun carriages (inzanagun1 and inzanegun2 respectively) for the RN and FR versions. Which would look best?

ohh I didn;t see that about the copper plating before, all of them should defanitely have it.
We could try Yellow for the RN and red for the FR, to match the color schemes?

I was thinking the same for the guns; that combination makes sense.

Would the copper plating look the same for all versions, or would the colours be slightly different?

I think it should be the same for all versions, any differences in copper between nationalities should be negligible.

OK then, I'll adjust the textures tomorrow. It's great to know we're nearly done with the whole project! :dance

Your call on the guns, but I've only ever seen, or at least noticed, red carronade carriages. Copper plating was as good as universal ion vessels of that time period, down to large schooners. Some small boats were even coppered.

Hmmm.... seems I forgot about those. After ten hours of getting Pilgrim ready to sail I'm not thinking very quickly...

That's not period correct L'Hermione was built about thirty years before Constitution. I think the red is very accurate, and as a bonus, attractive.

I don't get where the red scheme comes from.
The main inspiration for that paint scheme is the Acheron from the Master and Commander film.
I think there are other examples of a red stripe paint scheme; Post Captain or Captain Armstrong would know.

Anyway, I've now added copper plating to all three variants, and improved the bulwark texture on the RN and FR versions. Here's how all three look with their respective hull, mast and cannon textures:

New_Constitution_Textures.jpg

How do they look? Is there anything else to change, or are we all done with textures?
The three modified hull textures are available in my SkyDrive folder as "New_Constitution_Textures.7z": https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=F6B0C45B54136716&id=F6B0C45B54136716!145

Cap'n Armstrong: Just when we thought the hull was in perfect condition... there's a couple of missing triangles near the foremost grating. :modding (<-- look which smiley has returned!)

Here's one specific example in red:
Nuestra Señora de la Santisima Trinidad (The most heavily armed ship in history, by the way.)
la0008.jpg

Schemes similar to the red Constitution's were not by any means uncommon, so we can safely assume that a pattern nearly identical to the one we used existed on some vessel of that era.

Those hulls look amazing, by the way.

Back