• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

Water Issue

I still don't know how to make Winmerge compare anything more than files, not folders.

But there does seem to be some unforseen consequences from the merge of b13 and b14.

To compare folders, in the 'browse' dialogue, click the folder to open it.
If it hasn't already appeared, then type "Folder Selection" into the 'File name' box, and click 'Open'.
It takes a while to load the files of both folders, but once it does you'll notice any differences pretty easily.

That corvette looks pretty messed up! Either some textures weren't renamed, or the ship wasn't HEX edited, or both. :wacko:

I don't know why Winmerge wouldn't do that before. It is easy! But, now I don't know how to save the file. I've looked all over the place but it won't save the file.

I've looked at about 1/4th of it so far and outside of some .bak files the only differences are in animations and locations. All I'm really interested in is the sea stuff.

About corvette1_47: It is like that in all of my installs, so it isn't a B13/14 thing. It's probably a mistake by KevinAtlanta, because I did put his files in all of my installs.

I don't know why Winmerge wouldn't do that before. It is easy! But, now I don't know how to save the file. I've looked all over the place but it won't save the file.

going from my flakey memmory - IF you have made changes to a file, when you close that file it will prompt you 'Do you want to save the changes to file 'xyz' - something like that. How this relates to whole folders i'm not sure.

About corvette1_47: It is like that in all of my installs, so it isn't a B13/14 thing. It's probably a mistake by KevinAtlanta, because I did put his files in all of my installs.

Ouch! so, how does that effect your work on the flag locator/duplicates issue, does it mean all your good work is also corrupted by the KevinAtlanta stuff?!!! :shock

I repaired that ship by copying a GM from one of my clean backup installs into the working installs. It was probably a small error done during hex editing that caused the wrong texture to be applied.

KevinAtlanta's files are for the light frigates only, so will have no effect on other ships. When I'm done with my part the light frigates will look like slightly updated stockers but will in fact be pretty much all new ships thanks to what Armada has done. After that they will just need new hi-rez skins.

going from my flakey memmory - IF you have made changes to a file, when you close that file it will prompt you 'Do you want to save the changes to file 'xyz' - something like that. How this relates to whole folders i'm not sure.
It relates exact;y the same. You compare folders, see what files are different, open the file and then make the changes and save it.

What I wanted to do was save the Winmerge report itself so I could go back and look at it again later.

There should a "File > Save Project" option in the main WinMerge folder compare screen.

Back on topic: I also have the water issue and I'm really exited after reading the posts in this topic. I'm gonna try it right now!
me.gif
You scoundrels better not be joking or you'll face the wrath of my sword!
danse1.gif

Update 1: Water in the stock game looks fine. On to installing Build 13.

Update 2: Crap... Build 13 Final isn't available anymore in the downloads section...
dunno.gif
Could someone please give me a working link, or fix the old one? It would make my day.

Forgot about ModDB
rolleyes.gif
Thanks matey!
me.gif

Update 3: Installed Build 13 Final, then Build 14 beta 1 and then Build 14 Patch 6 Full and the sea looks normal again!
william.gif
(My loading screen is now also in Russian)
My savegame from stock game + b14 + b14p6 still seems to work.
All hail Legendary_Spider for finding a workaround!
doff.gif

I think someone should make a new topic describing how to fix the water problem and sticky it.

Forgot about ModDB
rolleyes.gif
Thanks matey!
me.gif

Update 3: Installed Build 13 Final, then Build 14 beta 1 and then Build 14 Patch 6 Full and the sea looks normal again!
william.gif
(My loading screen is now also in Russian)
My savegame from stock game + b14 + b14p6 still seems to work.
All hail Legendary_Spider for finding a workaround!
doff.gif

I think someone should make a new topic describing how to fix the water problem and sticky it.

Thanks.
me.gif

Um . . . I actually created this thread to address the water issue, so I don't think there's any need to make a new one.
dunno.gif

Yep. Damned if I know why this fixes the water problem, but it does. lol
mybad.gif

Yes this still makes absolutely no sense, since I've always had a B14 Full install, and never had any water problems. :wacko:

The fix for the Russian stuff is in this thread somewhere.

I've tried moving files from a hybrid install over to the b14 install,but it still has the bad water.

It's just the "Loading Savegame..." screen that is now in Russian, the others are still intact so I really cba to fix it.

Can somebody do a WinMerge between Build 13 Final and Build 14 Beta 1 and see what unique files are NOT in Build 14 Beta 1?
If you have to wait for me to do that, it'll probably be another few months...

I think I have a B13 install backed up somewhere. I'll take a look tomorrow.

Working on it right now. May take some time as I'm short on space on my HDD and my stock PotC folder is NTFS-compressed so copying it takes more time. In the meanwhile I'm comparing my previous b14patch6 folder with the one that includes b13.
You probably know best but wouldn't that be better anyway with future patches in mind? Or do you use patch1 as a base for patch7?

On a side note: Armada, what type of GPU do you have? I have nvidia and I think I read somewhere that only nvidia users are affected by this.
Legendary S, maybe I didn't properly explain what I meant about making a new topic but it's just that I think it will be easier to find for others if it's stickied and explained in just one post.

Looks like I found the file that causes the problem. It's bump.zap located in \RESOURCE\Textures\WEATHER\SEA\BUMP_G3
The version in B13 is 1.28MB and the one in B14 is 992kB. So I copied the larger one from B13 to my stock->b14b1->b14b1p6 installation and the water looks good.
WinMerge is still busy comparing the folders Pieter requested, I'll post the results later.

Here are some screenshots to show the difference:

B14's bump.zap

B13's bump.zap

B14's bump.zap

B13's bump.zap

Back