• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

New Horizons: Build 14 Beta 1 Patch 6 Released!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting well into P6 now and getting the reward ships. I haven't seen any reports on the spyglass or armor mods, so.....
:keith The spyglass is very powerful and I no longer sell the old ones when I get a better one. You can just about see the whites of their eyes when up close with the masterworks spyglass. The common spyglass is better up close. :nerbz

The armor mod changes combat big time until you manage to get the golden armor. The cheap and battle armor gives some protection, but seems to slow down your movements. Since speed kills, I died a lot until I quit wearing armor. :rumgone

I just had a ctd while in direct sail leaving Bonaire. I got the "sail ho!" and then ctd.

Are you saying the spyglasses enlarge the view too much now?

What do you mean with the armor mod? Nothing was done with that for quite a while.
Only the cheap armor is supposed to slow you down (read: take 1 off you fencing skill).

Seems your CTD is related to the sea AI groups again, though this time in a somewhat different fasion.
Still not good. :modding

Didn't you put Black Bart's armor mod into P6? Or did I do that on my own? :shrugIf you didn't put it into P6,do so. It will slow down those who use Luggers to capture SotL.

That masterworks glass is very powerful. Once when passing by Nevis on the way to Puerto Rico I could clearly see the ships at Charlestown, and could even make out the flags on the ships around Nevis, on the other end of the island! :8q At battle range it is not much use because it is hard to find the ship you want to look at and then you can only see part of it. The common spyglass is better there, except for the amount of info given. And that is not a problem, really. I suggest leaving it alone.

Yeah, that ctd is new, which is why I posted it. It might have something to do with a recent change.

Didn't you put Black Bart's armor mod into P6? Or did I do that on my own? :shrugIf you didn't put it into P6,do so. It will slow down those who use Luggers to capture SotL.
I left Black Bart's item modifications out, apart from the map prices, because I wasn't entirely sure yet what to do with those.

That masterworks glass is very powerful. Once when passing by Nevis on the way to Puerto Rico I could clearly see the ships at Charlestown, and could even make out the flags on the ships around Nevis, on the other end of the island! :8q At battle range it is not much use because it is hard to find the ship you want to look at and then you can only see part of it. The common spyglass is better there, except for the amount of info given. And that is not a problem, really. I suggest leaving it alone.
Are you using the Build default initItems.c or Black Bart's copy? Patch 6 increased the zoom factor of the spyglasses a bit, but Black Bart increased them even further which I didn't include.

Yeah, that ctd is new, which is why I posted it. It might have something to do with a recent change.
Except nothing involving sea AI groups was modified. :facepalm

I installed Black Bart's stuff in a P5 install, then installed P6 over that. So all of his stuff is gone from that install. His armor mod made a big difference. So big that I preferred no armor at all. Maybe I will re-install it.

If you prefer no armor, then what's the point of having armor in the game? :shock

LOL! I wasn't trying to figure it out, but just stay alive. :ixi When I was wearing battle armor it did protect me, but I was so slow that I could not defeat my opponent and he eventually got past my slow blocks and killed me . Time after time. No armor and a faster sword was better.

I guess the point of having armor is to let you advance farther faster. No more armor, no more luggers taking SotL. When I put golden armor in my weapons locker my crew suddenly becomes invincible! :2guns Methinks they could take any ship if I could board it. I wonder if that was what Black Bart was thinking? Anyway, I would like to hear some opinions on this.

Good point. That doesn't help, especially considering I DID make the screen. Fixed now for the next release. :facepalm

bad news guys. sorta. i've discovered that the visual glitch related to flags and dismasted ships does not focus on any of the stock ships, while it does happen with ALL the new ones, including ships that use stock hulls but have new masts. this implies that something is wrong about the method used to place flag locators for masts that have been added or changed by the build mod. i needn't add that that is a LOT of flags.

also, i think that what the player sees is partially a stretching of the flag; the flag itself is not completely deleted, but is still attached to the mast, causing the glitch. but that is pure speculation. also, you know how the glitch changes shape as you move the camera sometimes? that's because you're viewing the broken flag from a different angle.

Hmmm. Ok, more speculation..

I have noticed that many of the ships have at least one mast that has both a flag and a pennant attached. Usually you only see one or the other, but there are a few ships that show both. Removing one or the other causes other flags to disappear including the big one on the stern. Could this be somehow related?

some more stuff that needs looking into: if the topsail schooner comes from AOP this could be significant, since losing it's bowsprit does not cause problems. however, the bowsprit doesn't have a flag either.

that is quite likely, actually. if they all dissapear at the same time, then that also implies that they all WON'T dissapear at the same time, meaning that the flag of a downed mast will stay up. of course, this poses the question, what happens if all masts are shot off?

Are you sure the stock game ships don't cause those effects?
That doesn't make much sense, since all ships have had pennant locators added and many stock game ships been rerigged.

What ships show two flags at the same spot? None of them should,
though it could happen once a mast falls and the game gets confused on which flag should go on which mast.

I have once seen a screenshot of somebody who managed to get a huge, long flag between a ship's mast and a fort's flag pole.
No idea how that happened, but that supports the idea that the flags actually are actually being what you see.

One thing I know for certain on this subject is that once a mast falls and the game has to perform a "flag update",
things definitely get messed up because there's a mast missing that the game does expect.
Screwface put some code in place to not perform flag updates once a mast has fallen
and always repair a mast after a reload to land/worldmap to ensure things go back to normal as soon as possible.
Instances that can trigger "flag updates" are ships surrendering (flags have to go white) and the player changing flags.

Do you know if the appearance of the fractals happens only after opening the F2>Nation Relations menu and/or hoisting a different flag?

Just a random thought: I wonder whether this flag glitch has to do with the names of the locator groups (i.e. flag and penn)?
Most, if not all ships have all flags set to 'flag' and all pennants set to 'penn', but I have noticed several new ships using things like 'flag1' for mast1, 'flag2' for mast2, etc.
However, when doing locator work to add penn locators, I don't ever recall adding a number to the 'penn' group names.
Maybe all flag and penn locator groups need these extra numbers to specify which mast they belong to, or at least to distinguish between different flags themselves.
Does that sound like something which could cause this problem? :shrug

I thought that the ship I recently saw with both a flag and a pennant on the same mast was a pinnace. I just looked at two from different classes and they looked ok. :shrug

About the locator groups. The work I'm doing often involves repairing AOP ships rigging. The system used there has all of the locators using the same numbers, but in different groups. That seems to be good enough there. Not so in POTC! The numbers are more important than the locator groups. If there are two locators with the same numbers anywhere on a ship the rope WILL go to the farthest one away no matter the group.
Not knowing anything about flags I did not touch them except recently on one ship, with bad results. But it seems logical that having them all using the same numbers would cause confusion.

If someone finds a ship that they are sailing and it glitches, maybe try and change the locator name so they do have different numbers and see if that has any affect on fixing it :shrug

Are you sure the stock game ships don't cause those effects?
That doesn't make much sense, since all ships have had pennant locators added and many stock game ships been rerigged.
the rerigged ships DO have the problem. it's the stock, non-rerigged ships that are entirely free from the bug. the one's i've confirmed the latter for are the heavy brig (stock brig) xebec, and sloop.

it's got nothing to do with the F2 menu, though i have noticed that the bug goes away on occasion when you open any menu with F2, although it's back pretty quickly. also, most test results i got were from enemy ships that had never even changed their flag. one bizarre event that i did see though was that at some point, there was a completely intact flag floating high in midair. it seemed to be some kind of red pirate flag with a sideways-facing skull on it, but i don't think the AI uses it.

look into the model for the topsail schooner. losing it's bowsprit doesn't cause the bug, but that might be because there's no flag for the bowsprit. the problem is that i'm not entirely sure yet if losing the bowsprit can trigger the bug at all, but it seems unlikely unless there's a flag on it.

Losing the bowsprit will not cause a problem unless there is a flag attached. IMO. Ships losing bowsprits is now common just getting out of port. But the only ones that cause the anomaly are the ones like the fluyt of war 34g. It has a flag and it does cause it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back