• New Horizons on Maelstrom
    Maelstrom New Horizons

Visit our website www.piratehorizons.com to quickly find download links for the newest versions of our New Horizons mods Beyond New Horizons and Maelstrom New Horizons!

WIP Pirates Odyssey: To Each His Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Russian version of POTEHO has been played for a long period at Steam so the most important bugs should have been fixed in the upcoming English version :yes

Truth to be told, there were only a very few bugs in the Russian version. And we had them all fixed.

Yes, but this does not mean that the English version of POTEHO will not have bugs.
Just because corrections were done on the Russian release does not equal release in other languages.
It is not that simple.
It is incredibly important to crosscheck all game script files (not just dialogue), because small changes with Storm engine files can break quests VERY EASILY.
Quest dialogue options during translations become even more important as if they go "missing" the game will not necessarily crash just make areas uncompletable.
Need an good example?
How about such simple changes in English CoAS made the Tenochtitlan quest broken when it was released.
Easy fix? Yes, but it was NOT caught.
In fact, CoAS never got a proper released English patch, as it was only released in Russian, and then later fixed by members here.
Some glitches and bugs never got addressed and hung around until the release of GOF 2.0. and beyond.
Hopefully Joruba allows me access to files to assist prior to final release in English for the community here.
I don't even have a problem "buying" an early access release if the developers allowing me the proper access rights.
I can work fairly fast to crosscheck Russian/English files by having both sets of files open simultaneously, but I can only help if offered the correct files.
It would be easier if I could play test the version using modding tools, and then I could really see if everything is working properly.
Otherwise, it is purely a language prevention routine to keep it from turning into a "Tower of Babel".
As stated before, I want POTEHO to succeed and am willing to commit some personal time without compensation or credit so BlackMark Studios achieves their goals.
Now, its up to the developers to provide a level of trust to me so I can help.
There are only a handful of members here left (~30-40) that have a full knowledge of the Storm Engine.

I´m playing the german vanilla version 1.3.0 of CoAS in every possible way since years without any bugs, except some funny translation mistakes and a CtD every 4 hours because of the Stormengine. For me that´s acceptable enough. :)

Last edited:
It is incredibly important to crosscheck all game script files (not just dialogue), because small changes with Storm engine files can break quests VERY EASILY.

True. That's why I will be testing the whole game quite soon - all locations and all possible quest lines to see the translation ingame and to see if anything got broken in scripts.

Hopefully Joruba allows me access to files to assist prior to final release in English for the community here.
I will provide you translation text files as soon as we finish building them. (a week) Can't promise to give you an access to PROGRAM folder before the release though, but I will talk to the publisher and see what can be done here. My opinion, chances are very good.

There are many people, who do not want to have Staem on their computer.
As it is published. DVD or Steam

yupp & besides the obvious secruity concerns,
try playing (older) games on steam with mods. Its a 50/50 chance thx to drm and what not with steam. That is why most modders suggest to get dvd versions or drm free cause steam often fucks it up like silent hunter 3, for example. I made it run with grey wolves and other stuff but not without hours of frustration...

Last edited:
yupp & besides the obvious secruity concerns,
try playing (older) games on steam with mods. Its a 50/50 chance thx to drm and what not with steam. That is why most modders suggest to get dvd versions or drm free cause steam often fucks it up like silent hunter 3, for example. I made it run with grey wolves and other stuff but not without hours of frustration...

There are many other ways besides GOG or Steam to legally acquire older games such as POTC or CoAS.
Steam is a good resource because it centralizes game collection, and since you always own them after you buy them (even if they get removed from the Steam Store) you can always reinstall them unless the binary files get removed from the Steam servers. The biggest problem with Steam (other than non-resolved compatibility issues or external DRM problems unrelated to Steam..cough...Uplay...cough) remain there complete inability to regulate quality control. If you don't have experience in using basic code like MSDos (which is used for DosBOX) people get confused because they just expect old games to work on modern systems. That is not how programming life works. New technology invalidates old code, but this does not mean in invalidates the fun you can have with old games if you know how basic code was used to make things work.
This is why POTEHO still has potential (new game-old technology)
It may be an old concept but can still be fun.

from the vids ive seen on page 1 of this thread that MK posted, looks like a cool game, i just hope its as good as they're boasting about, otherwise ill be thru with them. it was released in russia in 2011, yet we in other countries have to wait almost 2 yrs for it.......says alot.
:whipa:guns::boom:

from the vids ive seen on page 1 of this thread that MK posted, looks like a cool game, i just hope its as good as they're boasting about, otherwise ill be thru with them. it was released in russia in 2011, yet we in other countries have to wait almost 2 yrs for it.......says alot.
:whipa:guns::boom:

I agree with you that the PA! community has been more than patient regarding this title and the series.
Time has continued to tick away, and I am already preparing to "jump ship" as required.
I plan to personally give Akella about another month (July 2014) to get the situation sorted out, or I am completely resolved to moving onto other projects as I have already played through the Russian released version. I just don't have the patience or interest anymore.
I will never look back, regardless of the final outcome.
I will not bash anyone, they will just lose a permanent supporter of the franchise.
There are many creative opportunities in other game genre developments.

When it is released I will be buying it. It will be interesting to find out how much the Storm engine has been improved.

When it is released I will be buying it. It will be interesting to find out how much the Storm engine has been improved.

The POTEHO Storm Engine changes are enough to make a difference and be worth $20 IMHO (English version untested).
There certainly is no difficulty in modifying the code, as it uses the same Storm Engine baseline that many PA! members know.
I manipulated what I could to get it to do what I wanted, within the limitations of what was included in Russian version.
Beyond that, I will hold my opinions until release, or move forward.

Any more approximate news, Joruba?
Yeah, sorry for the silence. I am currently dealing with this shitload of text. When it's done, I'll start testing the game, making a proper trailer etc

I am thinking about giving an early access to some people. The game is huge, surely we need help. I will ask the publisher to allow such a fan-dev cooperation. Is anyone interested? If so, write me on my email joruba92@mail.ru Send me any ideas or thoughts you wish to share. Afterall this franchise means a lot not only to us (the devs) but also to this respected communty.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Yeah, sorry for the silence. I am currently dealing with this shitload of text. When it's done, I'll start testing the game, making a proper trailer etc

I am thinking about giving an early access to some people. The game is huge, surely we need help. I will ask the publisher to allow such a fan-dev cooperation. Is anyone interested? If so, write me on my email joruba92@mail.ru Send me any ideas or thoughts you wish to share. Afterall this franchise means a lot not only to us (the devs) but also to this respected communty.

Cheers.

dude do you think i can get early access?

i was trying to mod it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back